• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where are all the yanmar people?

yanmarman

Occupation
union ironworker
i see every body talking about there excavators, but nobody talking about the yanmar brand. Myself Ithink there the best excavator made. Any thoughts?:confused:

kellasvio45

Occupation
truck driver, machinery operator.
hi yanmarman

well i own a vio 45 and love it, i think yanmar are very well built machines, the only thing i think they could improve on is brake out force but other then that very happy, and the quick hitch is pretty neat too.

lectro88

Occupation
master electrician/owner
My excavator is not a yanmar. But my engine is and so far it has done well. Its smooth, quiet, sips fuel and it gets the job done. It starts right up even in cold weather.

Jlillie2

Occupation
Media services
Same with me, my Takeuchi TB25 has a Yanmar engine. Just about bullet proof as far as I'm concerned.

yanmarman

Occupation
union ironworker
boyoboy i thought there would be more people interrested,yanmar people get together,

upnover

Occupation
Consultant
I guess I am a Yanmarian. I have a Vio 35-5. Great machine. Just dont like changing the engine oil. It's a pia. Remove battery. loosen this and that and your hands still look they were caught in a blender when your done 1 hour later. The Zero tail swing is great too but then limits the lift on the front end. At least it hasnt been to the repair shop yet in 400 hours.

yanmarman

Occupation
union ironworker
i hear you yanmarian! mines a VIO-30-1 4300 HRS AND NO MAJOR PROBLEMS,had a john deere couldnt keep it going plus parts hard to get. good luck with your yanmar

Squiddog

try trenching with a yanmar 50 vs just about any other japanese brand.
hitachi / komatsu / kobelco with complete 10 cycles by the time the yanmar does 6

Jim Dandy

I have a yanmar vio35-2 with 2300 hours and it has been a great machine. The track motors are getting weak but otherwise it has been relatively trouble free. It gets used all of the time and has been asked to do more than it probably should have.

yanmarman

Occupation
union ironworker
wait till you need parts,you'll wished you had a yanmar. what do you do that you have tried all of brands of excavator? most people stick one brand or do you just rent them because you dont make enough money to buy own excavator? been in the bussiness over 30 years and i think i know better. had john deere,cat. Yanmar is way better, i dont belive what your saying most other brands have yanmar engines i wonder why because they are better.even john deere, cub are made by yanmar

Sagamore1

New Member Yanmar B17-1

HI Guys
Just joined the forum although have been reading snippets here for a few years now. Good to see there are a few Yanmar digger fans out there.
I have a B17-1 that I have had for about 5 years and she more than does the job around my 25 acres. One of those bargain things that crop up now and then which was too good to pass up. Had very little trouble with it although does blow a bit of smoke on high revs but that is mainly due to the bores being glazed. Not sure how many hours it has one it but it would have to be well over 10,000 according to the broken hour meter that hasn't worked since it got stuck at about 8000 well before I bought it. So old it is stick and rod operated with plenty of slop all round but with a heap of grease on the pins and a can do attitude it hasn't let me down and, like me, it inst as fast as it used to be but doesn't leak anything and can still lift heavy things.
I am in the process of building a set of hydraulic thumbs and a fence post pounder so once I have the mechanics of those sorted I will be adding a third service circuit to the hydraulics if i can work out how to do it right, but that is a discussion for another day. If there is any old Yanmar techs out there who remember how the third service ports of the hydraulic bank work I would love to pick your brains.
I know this is an old thread but thought it was time to drop in and say hello.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Have a friend with a vio70? Its a nice running machine, good and clean and decent power, not as fast as the bigger machines but I'm not all that fast myself.

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
Loving my 35-5. Took me a while to find it but got one last year of the last production year with about 250 hours on it. Now I got about 730ish. Great, reliable machine. Way better than a cat303cr I ran for 3 years before that. Design wise, the front window roll up system seems to be more complicated than it needs to be. Not looking forward to working in the engine compartment. If they could only put the throttle on the r.h. side...... Hoping to replace my JD50C with a 70/75 yanmar soon. One of the other advantages...... much less likely to get stolen from a job site as not too many guys out there driving around with yanmar keys in their pocket. :)

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
We have no Yanmar dealer support . I have all Kubotas with lots of dealer support not that we have had any issues . I know Yanmar makes a great engine but don't no to much about their machines .

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
Re the 50c. It's an 04 Pros: reliable, no major issues, all major components are still original. (engine, finals, pumps etc.) It's a simple, no non sense electronics machine that was built to last. It's very stable and can lift at least 2x of what a typical 3.5 ton will. When I buy used equipment I usually look at equipment trader to see how many hours are people selling them with, and come here to get first hand feedback. I've seen these 50c's wth 4-6 thousand hours and still working. I have about 3500
Cons: it's slow. (but gets the job done)

Any machine will come to an age where "all the little things" start to go. hydro lines, cylinder seals, idlers, rollers etc. They're not huge ticket items but still. Its inconvenient and I'm just not great at wrenching on things. Overall it's done everything I've asked it to... Hope that helps.... (The only reason why I'm looking to upgrade is to move up a class or two in weight/capability. Other than lift capacity the difference between a 3.5 ton and a 5 ton isn't all that much.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
We have 2 yanmar loaders and 1 trackhoe gray market machines ,problems getting parts.Where do you get your parts from?
Thank you.

turfblazer

Occupation
semi retired drainage ,site work , eq operator.
i have a b-50 yanmar open bought used for about 15 plus years now. been a good machine just starting to get a little loose now. 5100 hrs. newer tracks, hyd thumb,dozer blade. im a good greaser !
gonna sell it only after maybe sooner ??? i really want a vio 45 or 50 with cab , i want a/c and heat ,hyd thumb,blade angle,quik attach.. i,ve been looking and yes where are all the yanmar people ? i cant find a older unit with low hours to get pre-emmission like i have now . so im leaning for a newer unit like 2016 to 2019. but being a class a mechanic these new diagnostics scare me only because i cant find anyone anyplace to get info on the access to computer ecm,codes,setting,scan tool,software etc. to repair myself!! i refuse to be held hostage to a dealer only situation and a open checkbook. also seems like yanmar people are more tightliped then deere or cat people not just the dealers , i mean the owners
just wondering is it because owners are just not haveing computer problems or they just pay the bill and the hell with it ??? yanmar dealers are far away and ya really dont know if their tech's are any good anyway !!! i dianoise problems !! i'am not a parts changer !!! i worked as a ford car dealership as a tech till 86, i shiver at the thought of letting someone make the problem / repair worse cause they screw up ! i support the ( right to repair law ).
any thoughts or help in any way are truely appreciated . thank you !