• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

When you think you've seen it all

Truck Shop

Yep, all of the Super-Truck, Smartway etc demos rely upon excellent drivers.

I take it your a Freightliner company man. And yes the industry does rely upon excellent drivers, just as it rely's upon excellent mechanics which there aren't very many of either one.

Autonomous living, everything done for us including a computer controlled lube system for our REAR ENDS maybe it will help people suffering with hemorrhoids.

Truck Shop

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
And then we have those idiots in trucks with NO BUSINESS being there and getting worse!!

Excellent drivers are a thinning volume currently so the pipe dreams of a differential over engineered lube system saving anything is beyond stupid. I have and will continue to operate on the K.I.S.S. principle, Politically Correct is Keep It Stupidly Simple. There are other derivatives!!

StanRUS

I take it your a Freightliner company man. And yes the industry does rely upon excellent drivers, just as it rely's upon excellent mechanics which there aren't very many of either one.
I have nothing to do with Freightliner!
Question, did you actually see the ring-gear welded to the carrier? That assembly would rely on a interference fit @ the hub mating surfaces and weld to transfer all of the input torque.
I don't like proprietary drive trains and required diagnostic software to work on the newer trucks. The trend towards proprietary engines, trans, diffs will increase in the future; rigs are/will be always electronically connected to 'corporate daddy or for some sex gender confused mommy'.

StanRUS

Yes I actually inspected the rear drive hands on, welded. Throw away unit.

Truck Shop
Daimler-Detroit says ALM diff is optional. Producing 1300 axles per day. 3hr to machine the pinion and robot assembly. Throw away unit; without throw away price?
1.5% fuel savings, I am skeptical from a part time usage controller. Cummins states 6X2 single drive axle saves 2.5%, Dana-Spicer states 3%.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
More disposable crap I do NOT care to see coming. Are quite a few carriers around nowadays using dead axle tags on tandems, they regret every time roads get slick. Local Dump and Van trucking CO and PLM Trucking two most prevalent and NO they are NOT getting the 3 not even 2% fuel savings that was called out per the local boys, MAYBE 1% if discount any savings from engine technology. Still a science fact takes so many BTU to make a HP and so many HP to move a ton, reduce SOME weight, reduce SOME resistance and gain SOME fuel economy but in the long run either the truck is loaded and pulling or its not and still running burning fuel. Trade off a drive axle for more freight and still X amount of pounds to move, not much gonna gain there.

StanRUS

More disposable crap I do NOT care to see coming. Are quite a few carriers around nowadays using dead axle tags on tandems, they regret every time roads get slick. Local Dump and Van trucking CO and PLM Trucking two most prevalent and NO they are NOT getting the 3 not even 2% fuel savings that was called out per the local boys, MAYBE 1% if discount any savings from engine technology. Still a science fact takes so many BTU to make a HP and so many HP to move a ton, reduce SOME weight, reduce SOME resistance and gain SOME fuel economy but in the long run either the truck is loaded and pulling or its not and still running burning fuel. Trade off a drive axle for more freight and still X amount of pounds to move, not much gonna gain there.

The Industry is trying for 55% BTU-fuel-freight efficiency. Platooning (drafting) per testing with truck spacing of 20ft. 3% for 1st rig, 7% for 2nd rig and 9% for 3rd. How can platooning be practically used on our highways systems?
Tag axle (6X2), wears out driver tires quicker, requires careful easy-on-the-gas drivers' technique to get rolling. 6X2 isn't recommended for most freight operations. With current aerodynamic designs, 11Liters @ 120-140Hp will move 65K lbs on flat highway.
K.I.S.S. great; we don't live that world, nothing simple about today's equipment.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
6x2 might be OK on the open road but what happens when you get to the dock? Most trucks I have seen can go into some nasty yards at both ends of the run. I guess it would be OK for shipping from one giant warehouse to the other but who actually does that? Maybe the really big companies, I don't know.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I hear ya, what they forget on drafting is that lead Duck has added drag from the follower, does NOT help to have that second truck drafting except for that drafter. We went thru all this in the Glory Days of the Fuel Embargo of the late 70's. Trucks with shields, screens between truck and trailer, side panels and skirt curtains, even the trailer nose nacelles or tail shields, all that did little except to add weight. I can still remember the Rubber Band drive tag axles that were not all that good on the old trucks and the spring load tags or pushers added to grain trucks that ALMOST took load off the main axle unless you overloaded the crap out of them. Current idiot Herders on the highways have no clue how to soft foot, they are all in a hurry and trying to make that imaginary $65,000/year they were quoted as 'Potentially able to make'.

Better lighter alloys, better composites, better response electronics on the engines are delivering economy, not the bolt on or unbolted BS. I will always hold to K.I.S.S. systems.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Better than the trou droppers at the grain yards crapping and walking away as if just another day!!

StanRUS

Better lighter alloys, better composites, better response electronics on the engines are delivering economy, not the bolt on or unbolted BS. I will always hold to K.I.S.S. systems.
Failure on K.I.S.S. skip video to 4:30 6X2 with Bendix E-track system.
Pete has their newer Super-Truck2 @ 12+ mpg. Trailers with rear flaring, won't fit most freight docks. Trailer mpg gained by lower road clearance skirts, again trailers' ride height isn't compatible with current freight docks.
One trend helping with fuel mileage available on current engines is reduced EGR, increasing NO2 and dealing with the increased NO2 in the SCR.

Mech-service truck, late 80s @ just under 15mpg, 99-T300 @ just over 11mpg to 2012 T270 replacement cab-chassis @ 8.2mph. Improvement hits the pocketbook @ today's $4.11 per gallon + DEF cost. Emissions system components, starting with variable vane turbo adds additional cost to replace under 350K miles. Progress!

Port of Long Beach; AQMD started monitoring emissions in 2005. All emissions have been reduces to lower than 2005 levels.

Part 3 computer driver helper
Part 4 walk around

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Time to drop CA off the radar and stop going there!! All the Super Duper Dupe those that will be duped hyped crap is worthless.

Our renter has a 2017 Corn Queen, the engine in it replaced the DT series and is junk. Multiple INTERNAL fuel leaks, required a replacement engine under warranty, dealer is not accepting further complaints of Tier 4 technologic wonders falling apart so the machine sits A LOT so does not get more miles. Been trying to trade it for six months but cannot get out from under the debt load on it and has few options in the medium truck market. I had nothing I could suggest to help, feels awful. They are actually using a 1998 GMC 366 (6.0)Gas engine truck to do their general work and it runs EVERYDAY, gets better economy on gas than the diesel.

Truck Shop

We tried trailer skirt/fairings with rear door fairings on three trailers pulled by 6 different tractors 2 with Series 60 and 4 with DD15's. Those netted no more than one tenth of one percent in
fuel mileage gain after one year use. Snow and ice collectors are about the main thing adding more weight in ice during winter months. This last spring I removed the sleeper fairings from
three of our Series 60 powered Coronado's that were damaged. No difference in fuel mileage while waiting for the new fairings from the paint shop. The truth is we have several drivers
that no mater what rig you put them in those trucks will get better mileage with those drivers. And it makes no difference if it's automatic or manual.

And those fairings we told the boss not to buy were removed and sold to some other believer.

Truck Shop

StanRUS

We tried trailer skirt/fairings with rear door fairings on three trailers pulled by 6 different tractors 2 with Series 60 and 4 with DD15's. Those netted no more than one tenth of one percent in
fuel mileage gain after one year use. Snow and ice collectors are about the main thing adding more weight in ice during winter months. This last spring I removed the sleeper fairings from
three of our Series 60 powered Coronado's that were damaged. No difference in fuel mileage while waiting for the new fairings from the paint shop. The truth is we have several drivers
that no mater what rig you put them in those trucks will get better mileage with those drivers. And it makes no difference if it's automatic or manual.

And those fairings we told the boss not to buy were removed and sold to some other believer.

Truck Shop
Even ambient air temps alter aerodynamics; -30C increases drag by 20% per the Canadian gov's data.
They are actually using a 1998 GMC 366 (6.0)Gas engine truck to do their general work and it runs EVERYDAY, gets better economy on gas than the diesel.
I gathered up GM big-block parts to repower the 99-T300, go gasoline. After lots of discussions with buddies, we concluded to abandon repowering with gas engines, due to time factor. Every hour spent repowering is one hour lost income. Available GM big-block crate engines develop more torque-hp than 6.7-8.3 Cummins @ almost identical rpm. CNG, with electronic direct injection makes the same hp-torque as gasoline. Issue is CNG tanks; available aluminum tanks from Australia are not DOT approved.

Truck Shop

Those controlled environment/condition tests are a total laugh and for the one reason they can't control. E-LOG, drivers are are going to push the crap out of any rig
to beat the clock on the dash. And there goes the mileage. This week one of our trucks coming in for service in a push to get there under the wire. Read out on the
dash said 531 miles/113 gallons-2016 Cascadia DD15 with DT12 automatic and all the aerodynamic goodies. 4.7 miles per gallon. That's the real world.

Truck Shop

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Really surprised on the lack of DOT approval of the tanks as UPS, and a number of other fleets have all got CNG units running and CA(Government agencies) has been using it in autos for quite some time.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Make the guys tie an egg to the throttle, for each one broken cut wages a fixed number or offer a bonus on economic driving, got to tie an incentive to saving fuel.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Really surprised on the lack of DOT approval of the tanks as UPS, and a number of other fleets have all got CNG units running and CA(Government agencies) has been using it in autos for quite some time.

Pretty much the whole trash fleet here runs CNG. So there must be some kind of approval.

StanRUS

I was referring Australian manufactured aluminum CNG tanks; they're ASME certified but not DOT certified. Aluminum CNG tanks can be mounted vertically, horizontally. Some are round mounted in private vehicles in the spare tire well.
Jack Rousch-Ford set-up; most of the left side behind cab is CNG tank, ditto Freightliner or optional behind cab crosswise. Okay for dry van, reefer and CNG delivery trucks etc; not for mechanic service bodies.

Cummins Diesel Hybrid Electric Mech Service Truck: Looks like bed load area is mostly batteries!
https://www.cummins.com/news/releas...nd-versatile-hybrid-powerdrive-iaa-commercial