• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

When does cutting through rock damage bucket teeth?

StumpyWally

Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
Occupation
PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
I will heartily second Tones recommendation of a ripper rather than a bucket for digging stumps (& rock). I used my 24" bucket for a while....then I got a ripper...what a difference on stumps!! The ripper concentrates all your power on the very tip!!!

But get a good ripper, or you will "rip" your ripper. I would recommend my Werk-Brau with an Esco UltraLock pick tooth.

skyking1

I have seen plenty of torn up little buckets and big buckets. Just dont pry with the bucket and you will be fine. If you bend or break a bucket on that machine just pulling then the bucket was trash or worn out.
yes it was trash all right it was too light!
you could absolutely damage it just digging straight away with no prying.
I'd never seen that situation before where the bucket was visibly just not enough. Really like the excavator though.

suladas

If you use common sense there is nothing wrong with a bit of prying with the bucket, I do it with both my hoes and never had a issue with a bucket. You need to make sure they are properly built for the size of machine and in good shape. If the bottom tears out, either it was too light of bucket, or it was fairly well worn and weakened. I do agree on the ripper though. I built one myself for my 6 ton and it's been a lifesaver for big stumps and frost ripping. I also pry with it and abused it pretty good and it's taken it well.

suladas

There are times I would like to have a ripper.

Making the coupler is the only hard part. You just need a heavy piece of steel for the shank, or I welded a bunch together. I have wain roy so while the coupler sucks making it for an attachment is super easy.

I've pried like heck on it and it won't budge. But then again the shank of it is 6.5"x2.25" I don't think a machine twice the size would be able to break it. I welded 3 5.5"x0.75" pieces together and put 2 0.5"x2.25 pieces the other way on both sides. Then buy a nosepiece for a single tiger tooth and weld it on. It doesn't have near the ripping force my 210 does, just because while the tooth is a fair bit smaller it can only get so small and still be strong enough to take the force. But even in hard frozen ground 3' it'll work it's way through it.

JDCrow

Any access to a Machine with a hammer? (Hydraulic Breaker)

The are a necessity out here. All we have is rock with pockets of dirt.

If you expose your entire break and see what you would need to hammer then break it up and send the hammer/machine back and dig with your machine.

A 2000-2500 LB hammer works wonders.

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
I have a ripper for my 5 ton E42 and it will do a great job of digging up rocks unless it's a solid shelf. However, we don't have granite rock, it's mainly limestone which is fairly soft. If your granite rocks are in bits and pieces a ripper should work well.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
If you can dig it then just dig it. Work your way around the rock and dont pry with the bucket. You will be fine.
But you can pry with a descent ripper without any problems and still have a bucket in good nick for the next job. Simples.