• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

when a crane touches a power line

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I guess I should have made that distinction. I meant after you are on the ground shuffling seems the safer bet.

Ok, then we're all on the same page with respect to the importance of NOT being in contact with the vehicle and the ground at the same time. That's a really important point, and I wanted to be sure we left no room for confusion.
:yup

WITJR_49

Occupation
HVAC technican and Licensed Electrician
Power line accident

I once had a friend of mine that worked at the plant with me. Her husband ran over a power line in this dump truck. He got out of his truck and got his self in between his truck and the power line. Was killed instantly!! So guys be careful around those power lines. Call 911 when you need help
Thanks for all the help form this site
Witgray

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
As long as we're on the subject, this would be a good time to remember that there are electric lines undeground too. Having your bucket in contact with one when you step off the machine could ruin your day.

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
I've never hit one either, but a possible cause to being unable to swing is meabe when they hit the line it might fry all the electrical in the machine and kill the engine or shutdown any electric over hydr. functions. From the looks of that one it melted all fuel and hydr. lines really quick All I know is I don't want to ever have to try!
I would guess that something like that could be the orgin of the old saying "look up and live!"

Bentworker2

Occupation
Substation Electrician
He is right.

I've seen several training videos on power line contact and they say to stay put, but if you have to leave jump as for as you can then hop like a bunny or shuffle your feet on the ground with real short steps. That way you don't get in two different voltage areas.
I've never hit a power line with a crane but what has me puzzled by all of these videos I've seen is why didn't the operator just swing away. I don't care if the wire welded itself to the line I'd be breaking off power poles for a half mile to get it away from there.:confused:

The most important thing is to not make contact between the equipment and the ground. It is poor practice to lean against, loiter around or even get something out of a bin while a crane is operating around power lines.

The second most important thing is if you have to leave the equipment jump as far as you can (without falling over), then keep your feet close together. The risk is that the difference in potential between your feet (voltage) could be enough to kill you. Whenever a piece of equipment makes contact with an energized power line it and the ground that the outriggers and tires are touching become energized to whatever the line to ground voltage is (2,400-34,000+volts is common, higher for transmission). The voltage that the earth is energized to decreases exponentially as you move away from the point of contact. Anyway, the way it works is if you take a 4 foot stride away from an outrigger the difference in voltage between your two feet could be 1,000 volts, but if you took 1 foot step the voltage would only be 300 or so. That can make the difference between you walking away unscathed because of the insulating value of your boots, or death. So shuffle or take small steps if you are ever around an electrical contact. Also, asphalt is actually a pretty good insulator, so if you have a choice jump onto blacktop instead of dirt.

Reuben

Here's an idea;dont get in trouble with electric in the first place.Is is so dang important to always always pay attention to your environment. Granted things happen.The township replaced the bridge going over to our shop last winter and it raised the road about 18-20 inches.I have hauled equipment over that bridge 100's of times.The first hot day of the year I went over the bridge hauling a excavator the same way I have for years and right on the bridge I snagged a tv cable. (wire wrapped with 5/8th cable) That pulled two poles over and the electric wires on top of the poles fell right on our excavator.I was baffles as to how this happened as I had never had any problem before.( I was legal height) After they fixed everything up we measured the line dang near every day at different temps.Believe it or not,from a temp of 55 in the morning to 84 in the afternoon that wire would sag anywhere from 8-13 inches. We were really blown away by that.I imagined they sagged in the heat but I never thought that much. The only thing that happened to our equipment was the chrome was blown off of the cylinder where the wire fell on it. It was nice to have the knowledge to know how to safely exit the truck though.

Cowboy Billy

Occupation
Operating Engineers Local 324
While I do not know what the current best way to get out is. My Grandpa told me after jumping shuffle away not moving you feet more than about six inches at a time. He was a lineman and when he retired about 1980 he was foreman for 12 crews.

Ruben: Grandpa also said when a line was shorted out it could sag several feet. He also hated working in detroit. Lines were tied together and backfeed and could be hot on both sides.

In the 90's I was running a soil sampling rig. The underground line was mismarked as being on the other side of the road. We ended up driving a sampling spoon through a concrete box and power line. There was nothing ti indicate that we did until we pulled it out. Then it made a loud humm and a puff of smoke. When we got the sample spoon out the end was melted of. The spoon was on the end of a steel 1 1/2 inch drill rod. With a metal 140lb drop hammer run with a cat head and 1 1/4 inch rope. Luckily no one was hurt.

Billy

ke6gwf

Dumptruck into power lines

I drove past this a couple of weeks ago in Napa CA.

Picture sucks due to distance, darkness and camera operator (me), but you can see the truck just after they shut the sparks off and he backed up.
The phone lines are hanging down over the cab marker lights (3 levels worth), snapped pole is by the rear of the bed, leaning to the left and the grass fire is below the back of the cab. (there's 2 sections of handrail in the fore-ground, 1 at axle level and 1 going over the hood)

When I first got there sparks and smoke were still coming from the truck, the phone line and the ground were the high voltage (probably 12,000 volts) wire draped down.
He had dumped broken concrete from a night city Stimulus job and then pulled forward catching the phone lines, breaking a pole and causing wires blocks away to arc as well as dropping 1-2 wires on himself.
The picture is just after they killed the power and had him back out of the wires. (I think he had gotten out of the truck while the wires were still hot)

The "funny" thing is his bed wouldn't go down any further. It would go up and lower back to that spot, but not below.
I am a mechanic and currently driving dump truck in very similar line of work including a lot of night work and I am paranoid about catching lines, so I thought about going over and trying to help him get the bed down, but it looked like the bottom sections of the lift cylinder had welded internally, and I couldn't do much (with what I had in my Jeep) to help that! (maybe hook a couple of chains to the front corners of the bed, and lay them out on the ground and drive the rear tires onto them to make a crude winch. If the weld was too good though, it might blow the cylinder apart and make a big mess, so I drove home!)

P1090047.JPG

Dog has 2 Coons treed right outside, so I got to help them escape if I want any quiet... Anybody need a Coonskin cap? Seen enough dead coons on the roads the last couple of weeks, don't need to make any more...
Ben~

utility1979

Occupation
operating keyboards at the moment but i usually li
Power lines are bad news.. My father got popped by one a few years back. while installing street lights, working over head in a bucket truck. He survived got burned up pretty good.
the only thing that saved him was the fact that when the power lines arced out, it ruined the hydraulics in the truck so it immediately dropped to the ground. He was about twelve feet from the lines. Never made contact.

sandy

Occupation
diesel mechanic
not a crane but an excavator

yesterday One of the operators at work touched a line in a 320 hyundai ex
blew chunks out of the ram on the boom.

rsherril

Occupation
Geologist, Retired from teaching sciences
What about lightning? Running a blade with a storming approaching would give me the willys. More than once I've stopped and lifted the blade off the ground to wait it out. Never heard of one being hit, however I had a tool pusher tell me that when drill rigs are hit it can mess up the bearings by arcing across them. Rigs are usually well grounded when the drill string is in the hole.

Dinale Precast

Im not sure how the power lines are run in your neck of the woods, but down here in Aus if a line drops to the ground it will cut out after a few seconds. It will then re-energize after a set amount of time. It will then try for a third time before finally cutting out. I was told it works this way in the event that a tree branch shorts a line temporarily it wont cut power indefinitely until a service tech gets out there to re-energize it.

I found this out after I was watching a cop stand near a fallen power line, keeping people away from it. The line was happily lying there on the ground when it re-energized about two feet away from the cop. It sounded like a small explosion going off and the flash was quite impressive. The cop shat his pants, then stood a little further back.

Bryan1

Well I suppose this aint mains power line with cranes etc but a few years ago I was welding in a tunnel where they were water blasting and the place was like a sauna. I was welding rio bar when all of a sudden I was thrown back against the rail and broke the rail falling about a metre to the ground. It turned out the device in the welder was faulty and I got a full 110 amps up my arm. As I was so sweaty the current went straight back down my arm and out thru another finger. When I was at the hospital the quack said I know you a left hander or you would be in the morg right now. When the mining inquest was held the main guy guy first said I'm glad I'm talking to you now but why did you let that happen. With my reply my employer stood up and shot me down which killed any chance of me proving I was working in a hazardous place. Needless to say I moved out of that town in a short time. But I do count myself as one lucky guy. About 15 years ago I was working on stripping out an old mill which was sold to china and when the 110 ton crane came in to pickup the mill a 480 volt power supply was in the way. The main boss asked me for a boilermaker to cut thru the cable and I firmly asked for it to to tested. his relpy was there is no underground cable left so the power outlet is dead. My good friend cut the main cable and was shot 20' back and died. The cable was live and it took 5 guys to hold me back from killing the guy that told me to cut the line.......

The problems I've seen in the last 15 years is the younger generation get in power, have no idea and us older guys are at their mercy. Even with guys in cranes where is that guy who used to watch the crane to ensure everything was safe is gone now.

rare ss

Well I suppose this aint mains power line with cranes etc but a few years ago I was welding in a tunnel where they were water blasting and the place was like a sauna. I was welding rio bar when all of a sudden I was thrown back against the rail and broke the rail falling about a metre to the ground. It turned out the device in the welder was faulty and I got a full 110 amps up my arm. As I was so sweaty the current went straight back down my arm and out thru another finger. When I was at the hospital the quack said I know you a left hander or you would be in the morg right now. When the mining inquest was held the main guy guy first said I'm glad I'm talking to you now but why did you let that happen. With my reply my employer stood up and shot me down which killed any chance of me proving I was working in a hazardous place. Needless to say I moved out of that town in a short time. But I do count myself as one lucky guy. About 15 years ago I was working on stripping out an old mill which was sold to china and when the 110 ton crane came in to pickup the mill a 480 volt power supply was in the way. The main boss asked me for a boilermaker to cut thru the cable and I firmly asked for it to to tested. his relpy was there is no underground cable left so the power outlet is dead. My good friend cut the main cable and was shot 20' back and died. The cable was live and it took 5 guys to hold me back from killing the guy that told me to cut the line.......

The problems I've seen in the last 15 years is the younger generation get in power, have no idea and us older guys are at their mercy. Even with guys in cranes where is that guy who used to watch the crane to ensure everything was safe is gone now.

sounds like you need to come over to WA into the mines, you cant fart without a safe work procedure, spotter and an MSDS

nextdoor

Occupation
Farming and playing in the dirt
sounds like you need to come over to WA into the mines, you cant fart without a safe work procedure, spotter and an MSDS
How things change. I used to work in the goldfields about 20 years ago and it was anything goes and now it looks as if the pendulum has swung way to far the other way. If I worked by the same rules as the mining industry I think I would be broke in a week!!!
Look on the bright side rare SS you get paid to do all the JHA's take 5's ect,ect....

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
................. I firmly asked for it to to tested. his relpy was there is no underground cable left so the power outlet is dead. My good friend cut the main cable and was shot 20' back and died. The cable was live and it took 5 guys to hold me back from killing the guy that told me to cut the line.......

I am very sorry to hear about this tragic loss.

The sure fire way to make sure something is dead when the bossman swears it is dead is to hand him the cutting tool, be it bolt croppers, hacksaw, petrol cutter. If he aint got the balls to cut it then nobody else should.