• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wheel stud removal on spoke Dayton wheel, heat w torch or not?

richief

I have a bad wheel stud on spoke type dayton wheel, w wheel wedges.
The stud is real froze and someone basically tore off all threads trying to remove before at some point.
I think I can apply heat to stud without heating the rim too much, but kinda scared to try it, seen too many videos of tires blowing up from pyrolisis.
This is an old moving trailer 44' with dual dayton wheels.
What is the best way to replace stud?

walkerv

Let air out of tire torch nutt off or use zip wheel get tires off proceed with stud removal

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
pyrolysis is awesome! with that in mind, you should be able to pizza cutter wheel the nut, enough that a cold chisel will crack it free, even if you cut the stud behind the nut with a grinder, less heat that a torch. Once you get the wheel off, weld a fat nut over the remaining stud, the thermal shock of welding might loosen the stud.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
As stated let the air out of the tire and you can torch the face of the nut off away from the wheel. Very little heat will transfer to the wheel. remove the wheel and weld a nut to the stud to remove it.