• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wheel hub

Spangles

Hello everyone,
Supplier sent me a new gear and it fitted like a glove. The faulty one will serve a life of paperweight i'm afraid.
Today I went with the mech to put back the axle casing and raise the axle up to bolt it to the frame. It's seriously not easy work when machine is stranded on site. After 4 hrs of struggling and making sure nothing gets damaged, it's finally up. Phew! 2 Bottle jacks and one chain block to get it into position.

Planetary gear all assembled and ready to go.

Next one to go in is the wheel hub but it has to be assembled first so we'll do that tomorrow. Has anyone done this ? any advice or tips to make everything fit smoothly?

So close now to getting this sorted....fingers crossed!!!

Wheel Hub 11891270.jpg

Many thanks for your help

Spangles

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Glad to hear the new gear solved at least that problem. Can not offer much advise other than take your time and think before doing anything. Is there an adjustment procedure for the hub bearings? Shims or spacer, hard to see in the picture. Well, if you and test fit the bearings on the axle before putting them in the hub, that might save a headache or two.

OH! and count the fingers when done to make sure they are all still where they belong!

Spangles

Glad to hear the new gear solved at least that problem. Can not offer much advise other than take your time and think before doing anything. Is there an adjustment procedure for the hub bearings? Shims or spacer, hard to see in the picture. Well, if you and test fit the bearings on the axle before putting them in the hub, that might save a headache or two.

OH! and count the fingers when done to make sure they are all still where they belong!

I did count fingers when done but a knuckle got smashed. Thanfully not mine...mechanic had grease on the hammer head and it just glanced when he struck and went straight on his left hand knuckle.
That kinda shook him up a bit....:D
That will teach him to listen to me when I say to use a piece of wood and not hit on the metal.

The fit was a bit tricky. The wheel hub went in fine, then the planetary gear. one part somehow got left out and we had to remove the axle casing again to fit that part...that kinda made us lose at least two hours. Other than that, I got to say it went quite alright.

Took all day...from 10am to 17.30
Fitted both wheels and did a test while both wheel raised on 4th gear to make sure everything turns fine without any weird/funny noise. Handbrake tested & foot brake as well. I still got a few nuts to fit onto the wheels as they came out with the studs. letting them soak in wd40 a bit before removing them. As soon as i'll get these last few nuts back on, I'll get the operator to move it from site and see how things goes.

Speaking of wd40, has anyone tried this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WuVBFTzoKc

Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone and mix them together in a 50/50 ratio

Many thanks to all who helped. The combined experience on this forum is more than any dealer or mech workshop can ever provide.

Spangles.