• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wheel hop problem

770G

I'm only carrying the wing...99% of the time, my grader is only a spare plow in my yard. If any plow truck breaks down that operator jumps in mine and I go plowing in the grader. But of course on days with no weather I get out ice blading.

The tires we run are bought brand new, but we seem to run them "well past" when we should. Guess the higher up's think there pricey or something...... Michelin snows is what we use.

And the last thing is I blade at 6.5 to 7 mph, 4th gear 1800/1850rpm

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I'm only carrying the wing...99% of the time, my grader is only a spare plow in my yard. If any plow truck breaks down that operator jumps in mine and I go plowing in the grader. But of course on days with no weather I get out ice blading.

The tires we run are bought brand new, but we seem to run them "well past" when we should. Guess the higher up's think there pricey or something...... Michelin snows is what we use.

And the last thing is I blade at 6.5 to 7 mph, 4th gear 1800/1850rpm

I had Michelin snows on mine when they bought it. They worked really good for dirt and snow I thought. Never could talk them into another set. I have Michelin XTA now. Hmm is that right?

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
We looked at Micheln snows when we bought our last grader. If I remember correctly they added $3500 to the price of the machine. We didn't think they were worth that for no more snow than we normally push. Was also concerned about how well they would wear???

This is totally off subject, but have you tried running in 5th gear at a lower rpm to get the same mph for increased fuel economy??? Our 770G with only 100 hrs on it will get 5.3 gpm doing road maintenance and running about 1500 rpm in 5th. It's a Tier IV engine.

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I think the price was why they didn't buy a second set of the snow tires. I have no idea about fuel economy. The 160H that I'm was running is a 96 model. I don't know if it was tier zero hahaha... I doesn't show you anything as far as fuel useage. Lucky if the gage even works. I found out yesterday that I am staying on the D8T for awhile yet. I was kind of looking forward to going back to a grader but it isn't so bad operating the D8 either. I'd sure like to try out a couple other graders before I retire. That JD 772 GP looks like a pretty neat machine. Have you been around them at all? I think it would have cat beat as far as joystick steering. It give you the option of both.

770G

As far as graders I've run it's only been 2..... Well about 5 different Champion 740's, which aren't to bad. Tuff old things lol. And now my 770G, which I love. Although a GP would be awesome to operate! Oh wait I stand corrected ;) I bladed in a Volvo, I didn't really like it.

770G

Well the wing is off and I had my 1st day of blade'n today. I try'd the tire pressure suggestion on rears but (45 front, 40rear) and opposite on other side..... No luck:( grader didn't bounce as much but the rear of the grader would rock side to side lol. Not the out come I was lookin for. To get through the day I articulated and that killed the rockin thing:) so I'm gonna bump up the tire pressure an extra 5lbs from what I was running.

That Nortrac dude that I mentioned was coming for my service......well my boss called Friday and he said he did the service, and also claimed that our John Deere loader needed a service as well. But guess what? We don't have a JD loader lmao!!! So someone got there grader serviced but it sure wasn't mine lol.... Just wanted to share that bit of humor with everyone:)

770G

10-4 ;)......was awesome out there today, tunes, doors locked open, just a great day. So much better than ice bladin with the heat on

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
That Nortrac dude that I mentioned was coming for my service......well my boss called Friday and he said he did the service, and also claimed that our John Deere loader needed a service as well. But guess what? We don't have a JD loader lmao!!! So someone got there grader serviced but it sure wasn't mine lol.... Just wanted to share that bit of humor with everyone:)

I had a similar incident with fuel. Ordered our tank filled and a couple days later while filling up the grader the pump started sucking air. Banged the tank and it's empty. Called the fuel company and they assured me they filled my tank. So I think I've got a fuel thief. Not likely in the small town where the grader is parked, but possible. I get all paranoid and start locking the tank pump and always locking the building when out grading. A week or so later the fuel people called and apologized saying they had filled the wrong tank!!! :)

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Well someone got free fuel maybe lol

Yes, the township next to me. Their shed is only a few blocks from mine. What aggravated us most was we never got credited for that tank. So we switched companies.

770G

One week of 8hr days grading and no more wheel hop.....46psi rear, 44psi front. Thx to all for input :)

Alberta

Occupation
maintenance supervisor
We looked at Micheln snows when we bought our last grader. If I remember correctly they added $3500 to the price of the machine. We didn't think they were worth that for no more snow than we normally push. Was also concerned about how well they would wear.

I switched our fleet of graders (14M) to the Snow + 6 years ago.....best move we ever made ! No more chains (and we have some pretty mean hills) and the operators love them. As for wear, we usually get about 4000 hrs out of them (Not too much of an issue since we trade them in every 2 years)...we control the bounce by crossing our rear pressures and keeping the front tires 5 psi lower than the rear average (they all carry a front dozer).

Davvinciman

Occupation
Operating engineer and business owner
Changing speed, even as little as .10 of a mph can change bounce. I've learned with a Deere machine and radials you can't run in the 4.5-6.0 mph range without bounce. With my D model it would run 7.0 mph and not bounce. With the current G model it has to run slightly slower, 6.8-6.9 mph range. At 7 mph it bounces, especially going downhill.

I noticed when changing to my first blade equipped with radial tires (a Cat 14H), when I was doing haul roads for some 657's, there were times when I could not stop the hop except to almost come to a dead stop, pick up and move ahead and start again. I was never so happy to get my 16G back with the old "stiffies". Not having worked in extreme cold, these might have some disadvantages for traction....but not for grade.

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
One week of 8hr days grading and no more wheel hop.....46psi rear, 44psi front. Thx to all for input :)

Been away from here for awhile. Warm weather here and too much to do hahaha... I think I told you some time ago that the front should be lower hahaha.. Glad you figured it out. I don't have a front blade on mine (you probably don't either this time of year but you might. It's still a little cold north of the border. I have alway ran mine even lower than that on the 160 H. It has radials but usually around 42 for the rears and about 35 on the front. I like them soft on the front. Hey everone have a great spring. Not much time to get online now days.