• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wheel-dozers

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Dug it was indeed a smaller machine, They really didnt think it would have been successful but they got talked into it, Plus Insurance wouldnt cover the replacement of the arms and their mounts that had been damaged. They considered making a compactor similar to the one we did but for soil. Then the mecanic told them about converting it. For extra weight they added water and antifreeze to the tires to give it some good bite. A small wheel dozer well the smalledt Ive seen was one that Clark/Michigan made from their 85 series 2 yard rigid frame loaders it was a small beast. Ive seen a few of them here and there on the web as well as a few of its larger cousins. Tony Turby bought the biggest machine Ive ever been around at a sale. He mainly buys trucks but he came home with a a3 or 480 Michigan WD the blade was 33 feet wide Its hasnt been installed it was just on the yard in tractor form.

sluggo

Occupation
Equip. Operater
How about a Tiger. Based on a 992 wheel loader . First released in 1981 in Western Australia. Probably used mostly in the mines, a good cleanup machine and pushing dumps with the right material. I think it can push nearly as much as a D10, if its got the traction . This one is stick steer.This is their web site .http://daak.com.au/pages/tiger.htm
Does anyone know of any elsewhere in the world?

Barrick Goldstrike mine in Elko Nevada, had one when I worked there,but that's been like 6 years ago.

CAT793

I think it can push nearly as much as a D10, if its got the traction .
Raises an interesting question.............If you lined up a D10T and a 854G corner tip to corner tip on flat concrete which machine would be going backwards???? (I know the answer from see it )

JDOFMEMI

I venture to say on flat concrete that D-10 will be the one going backwards.

Rubber to concrete is about 90 percent traction

Steel to concrete is about 10 percent traction.

A smaller RTD than an 854 would still beat the D-10 on concrete.

ben46a

Well i found out the other day and 854K will pull a 797B on icy ground and a D11T wont. The 854K Never even spun a tire and the 11 even with ice lugs sat and spun. Shocked the crap outta me.

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
Wheel dozer vs Crawler tractor

A friend mine worked for Signs & Pinnick in the 80's, they had a fleet of Hough D500's. One friday after everybody had to many beers a bet was placed if the Hough D500 could push a D9L. They lined the machines up blade to blade & the Hough D500 pushed the D9L backwards!

They had (4) runners but over time kept parting them out untill there was only one runner. Eventuly sold it for saftey reasons because the brakes sucked.

Attachments

• Hough%20D500%20wheeled%20dozer[1].jpg
    Hough%20D500%20wheeled%20dozer[1].jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 3,572

pactractor

Occupation
Heavy Equip. owner
Dug I worked on one or two of those hough's for Signs and Pinnick, while renting 657's to them we sometimes had to help to keep the support equip. running if they didn't have a mechanic on the job. They were a bit weird the way the cab was part of the front half of the articulation.

Deas Plant

Hough D500's

Hi, Dug Overburden.
I didn't run them a lot but did do a few hours on a couple that were set up as coal dozers. They were somewhat dangerous when working around semi-tippers hauling coal into the stockpiles. The air cleaners were mounted on the front face of the firewall sticking out from the sides of the hood. You could hide a whole semi-tipper behind one of them and not see it.

They would sure push a pretty fair blade-ful of coal but that 'sit-on-the-front-and-the-back-breaks-away' frame arrangement wasn't any more user-friendly as a dozer than as a loader - - - - and that was a PITA.

The 'tahrs' didn't like being viciously assaulted by DD9G corner tips either. Bell Brothers in Western Australia found that out the hard way, the first day out on the job after they had fitted brand spanking new Michelins to it - the only four in Australia at the time. The operator of a DD9G working alongside the Hough D500 spun around and took out a tire with the corner tip. He joined the unemployment lists that same day.

Gavin84w

A DD9G in Australia Deas, where would that gem be now?

Dug, last year we had the 825 engineer out from Cat and took him to a couple of site. One site had a Turners Eng. 834B 92Z converted to a compactor, effectively an 835B. The job done on the conversion was so convincing and looked so factory the engineer was flippin out and we stopped and he killed a few meg in his digital cam. We asked about the possibility of Cat doing it and he said it would be doable under a custom product.

Another thing he spoke of was a narower blade on the 825 so as to prevent taking corner tips off to achieve the width on the float.

Deas Plant

Where would that gem be now?

Hi, Gavin84W.
Haven't a clue, M8. Back in those days, Bell's only kept their front line machines for 3 years and that was about late 1969. I did see one of them rigged in Wigmores' (as it was then) yard in Guildford, prior to delivery to Pinjarra. That was the closest I ever got to having my favourite rump steak in the seat of one. And I don't know how many of them Bell's actually had. Maybe you could find out by doing a little record surfing at the 'home office'.

From what I can gather, back in the late 1960's-early 1970's, Bell Brothers were as big within Western Australia as Leighton's were Australia-wide. And Bell's had tentacles too.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Deas I always hated running a Hough or IHC loader because of the tail wag. after running Cat Deere Komatsu and other loaders it always was a pain to get on a an IHC or dresser machine I always would catch the engine out of the corner of my eye in a turn and slam the brakes till I figured out the clod head about to run over me was me. Also topping off trucks I liked sitting on the back half better to steer the bucket and see what I was doing.

Shamrock

The 834's I've run as well as a 988B (old Loader converted into a Power Cable Reeler) surprised me not only on Flat Ground but on slopes. I can not believe some of the really rough 14-15% slopes they'll climb up.

The Reeler has a tough time after a few minutes of anything really tenacious - loses all of her tranny fluid and "en-do's" on the Reel you are carrying coming over the other side.

Frenchy

Occupation
Grader operator Snow Removal
Those wheel dozer look like pretty much same than a packer with the blade....except the wheel!

Frenchy:canada

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
They are the same things just different wheels. Cat and michigan even made a few skidder to eart and trash compactor conversions in the early days of landfill packers.

malcolm

Wheel dozers

HI Hope you guys can handle a real wheel dozer cheers malcolm

Attachments

• wabco2_0009.jpg
    wabco2_0009.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 2,405
  • wabco2.jpg
    wabco2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 2,373
  • wabco2_0001.jpg
    wabco2_0001.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 2,367
  • wabco2_0002.jpg
    wabco2_0002.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2,348
  • wabco2_0003.jpg
    wabco2_0003.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 2,359

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
A friend discribed seeng a non articulation RTD nearby about 40 miles away for sale at 1500. I found it but it was a sad site the man that bought it ripped out the motor and busted the generator and hacked off all the winch parts for his wrecker and then burnt part of it and left it in the mans yard. I was sick as a dog. The old man had driven it there after doing a last small job. It even had a power tilt. and the Tow owner never did finish paying for it. To this day I that towing service makes me sick.

I may trade for the rest of it may be a trans or some parts that could be used.

oversize

Occupation
low loader driver
A DD9G in Australia Deas, where would that gem be now?

Dug, last year we had the 825 engineer out from Cat and took him to a couple of site. One site had a Turners Eng. 834B 92Z converted to a compactor, effectively an 835B. The job done on the conversion was so convincing and looked so factory the engineer was flippin out and we stopped and he killed a few meg in his digital cam. We asked about the possibility of Cat doing it and he said it would be doable under a custom product.

Another thing he spoke of was a narower blade on the 825 so as to prevent taking corner tips off to achieve the width on the float.

Hi so a rubber tyre dozer and 815,825 are very much the same??

The turners eng. machine you are talking about above is that a Gm powered machine that had rubber tyres mounted inside steel compactor wheels,? If it is I this tread got me thinking about them, I remember these machines working on a job near my primary school on the gold coast in the mid 80's