• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wheel-dozers

CAT793

Muddy,690 has always been based on the 992 c & d. 790 was the 992G and 590 was the 844.

If you can think up a good contraption made out of Cat bits you will be brought out and make a pretty penny on your design.

Just look at Mr Tiger, Mr Elphinstone and Mr DJB in recent years and MR Russell (Graders) and Mr Trackson (Traxcavator) in years gone by.

Mr Haulmax is next in line

Would I be correct in saying when our Tigers were sold they were still branded Tiger because i seem to recall being sent out the sticker packs when CAT brought them out to re-label them!

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
Lot of cladding on that 834 blade. I like RT dozers, always have. Wonderfull for pushing snow and gravel, loose fill. Not so good for excavating hard park dirt or clay or in wet conditions. Great for clearing trees and stumps, building rough haul roads and general pioneering. Very fast in quarries, mines and pits for cleanup. Easier riding too than older dozers. Never pushed scrapers much with them though.

I bought a 834 for short money, needed a headgasket. All I use it for is plowing snow. That's about all I would use it for. You never really see these machines around, up my way anyways.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
I like the idea of the wheeldozer concept, and the College that owns them had an auction recently to get rid of a whole lot of junk, old concrete mixxers, and old Case TLB with brand new hydraulics, but screwed tranny, Cat D2 or D4, etc, but the rubber tire never came up. I will try to get some more pics, but they will most probably be of the machine stationary. Sillage season is in about 3 months, so I will bend my old man's arm to take me to Cedara for the week that they do it, try to get the operator let me move it around, speak to the Farm Section Manager so I can have a go, get pics, etc...

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Ok, now, all you wheel dozer buffs, here is a diagram of the cab with some lines. The yellow circle is the the main control lever. A far as I can remember, forward and back lifts or lowers the blade, side to side, controls the angle of the blade. The green one is the second control lever. It controls the tilt of the blade. Now is where it gets tricky.

The green arrow pointing to the bottom of the pic is where another lever is located. It changes (I think) the hydraulic flow for an auxiliary attachment, on the green lever, from being blade tilt, to the ripper operation, bearing in mind that this is a 914B wheel loader, modified to be a wheel dozer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and offer any corrections, ideas, etc.

Does anybody have any ideas on what the blue circle is?

The red bit is the deccelerator pedal. As you can see by the wear marks on the floor in front of the pedals, this pedal doesn't get used much. What is it for, and what does it do?

Attachments

• cab diagram 814B.jpg
    cab diagram 814B.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 2,634
Last edited:

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
E.L. Yeager Const Co. 824B wheel dozer photos

ROP,

Is this picture on hwy 79 south in Temecula Ca?
Cat 824B "36H" & 834A "43E" had no power down low,you have to keep you leg buried in the throttle all day to keep the Turbo Boost up. Your leg sure is sore at the end of the day!

BTW these sure sound great with straight exhaust, watch one at night and you can see a flame in the exhaust!!

On another note, Skanska has ruined E.L. Yeager. The people are what make the company. Your comment about Dudley Elswick shows the class E.L. Yeager had!

I've spent more time on a rubber tired dozer than I'll ever admit to.
The newer 824's were more operator friendly than the A's.
But IMHO, the A's are still the best RTD Cat ever made.
These pics of me were taken in 1986 by one of the best dirt foreman I have ever had the pleasure of working for.
Mr. Dudley Elswick from E.L. Yeager

CAT793

I have never seen or worked on one of these but I will have a go at explaining them.
The box with the blue circle looks like a add on monitoring system that contains pre set parameters from sensors/switches to warn the operator of a system malfunction. For example lo oil pressure or coolant temp. hi.
I would have thought the red pedal was just straight brakes and the pedal on the other side of the steering column was Trans. disconnect so you still had full hyd HP with out trying to drive through your brakes!
Are you sure the green is not a hand throttle??
And the green arrow is about where the hand brake button and cable usedto be!

Once again I do not know this machine i am just guessing!

Last edited:

alco

I'm no expert in the field of wheel dozers, but I think a few of your ideas may be a bit off there. The 814B was based off the 950 loader not a 914B if I am not mistaken. The green circled controller would be a hand throttle I think. But it could very well be used for blade pitch I guess. There is no decelerator on a wheel loader or dozer as far as I know. I'm pretty sure that would be the same as on a loader, which would make it a brake pedal. I'm not sure at all what the level out of the picture indicated by the green arrow would be. Finally, I think the box on the dash in the blue circle almost looks like an old CB radio, but I may be way off on that. To me it looks like a radio that just doesn't happen to have a mic attached to it right now. It'll be interesting to find out what it all works out to be.

Brian

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
OK my turn. On a 834 the main lever controls up and down and left and right tilt, the second lever is blade pitch and ripper control, the lever indicated by the arrow which is on the right hand side of the seat on the 834 when in the up position the second control (green ) lever is the up and down for the rippers and when it is in the lower position the second lever then controls blade pitch. On the floor far right is the accelerator and the other two are straight brake pedals, the 834 we have does not have a clutch/brake or whatever it's called on the left pedal and never did have. The thing on the dash would be a guess.:)

Merry Christmas

JDOFMEMI

Well, we are closing in on thje right answers.

Yellow lever is the main blade control. Fore and aft movement lowers and raises the blade, and side to side movement controls the side to side tilt of the blade.
The green lever controls pitch of the blade.
Green arrow is likely the diverter valve, sice this machine has a ripper. it may be a 2 position, or sometimes a 3 position valve. When in the normal position, the main lever side to side controls the blade tilt, with 1 cylinder, when moved the other way, the rippers go up and down. This is also used for the machines that pull a disc or bee gee scraper. If it is a 3 position, like on some, then the 3rd option is to make the tilt work with both cylinders opposed to each other, for a faster tilt cycle.
Red circle is the brake, and there is no decelarator on a RTD, at least none I have seen. Left side brake may be a straight brake, or may be a combination declutch/brake, like on a wheel loader. I have seen them both ways, and there is a use for it on a RTD that is doing back and forth cycling, such as pushing a truck dump.

Now the blue circle is an educated guess, but wth the prominant red light on top, I suspect some type of monitering device, to alert the operator in event of overheating, low oil pressure, low air pressure, High trans temp, and possibly other faults. It is an add on device, not OEM Cat.

By the way, it looks like a very clean unit. Most around here have much more wear ant tear showing.

Haul-Pak

Well it's one Joystick on the 992C and it control's the 3 functions.

I think you guy's mean the Inching Pedal found on forktruck's mainly.

CatMatt

Occupation
Earthmover
Blue Circle

Gday All

The blue circle is an Engine Protection System, We have one very similar on one of the Old cat dumptrucks i operate, Moniters Coolant Level, Oil Pressure and Water temperature. It brings the engine to an idle if it detects if there is a problem.

Matt

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
Cat 814B

Brian,Alco

I believe tthe 814B was based on the 966D,not the 950. Correct me if I am wrong

Dug

The 814B was based off the 950 loader not a 914B if I am not mistaken. [/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Gavin84w

getting there men!!

Actually just in front of the blade tilt lever is another knob you can partially see and this is the throttle lock. 814,5 & 6 are based off the 966 range in that era and as such still have the neutraliser pedal on the far left, push half down to neautralise trany and further down to brake.

992G

I believe tthe 814B was based on the 966D,not the 950. Correct me if I am wrong

Dug

Dug,
You are correct on that one 814B was based on the 966D and E models.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Wow, thanks for the replies guys. Now that I think about it, when the operator gave me a demo of the machine, he said there were two brake pedals, but on the new 814F, the red pedal is a deccelerator pedal, so thats what probably got me confused.

The throttle, by the looks of things in the demo, is by the steering wheel, like on most TLBs, like the JD J series. I think it only has forward, neutral, reverse. I asked the op to give me some info on some of the other things in the cab, but he just shrugged his shoulders, "Angiyazi", (I don't know), so I just left it there. Bearing in mind that there are no Zulu equivelants of operators manuals, or of engine monitoring system, throttle control, etc, so the guy was probably working off his entire operating experience.

I think that the whole engine monitoring system sounds about right, as this machine does belong to a government department.

And I do believe that JDOFMEMI has the green lever down to a science. The operator showed what it did, I just didn't know how to explain.

It did seem a bit big for a 914 loader, and, the cab is very clean, save for the operator extinguishing his cigarette butts on the dash next to the main control lever.

Thanks guys.

How should you operate one, and what are some tips?

Last edited:

Haul-Pak

How should you operate one, and what are some tips?

Depend's. If you are cleaning up around a 1000ton + shovel then AVIOD the thing at all cost's.

I always hold the Thought that an Dozer is only productive with a full blade. Sit and watch till you think it's Justified to Push a decent blade and not just a little.

Ov-course this is different on shovel clean up, Make sure you get the Big rock's out of the Truck's path. Constant radio contact with the shovel drive is always good.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
When I was a little boy I dad got to operatoe one for Wright Brothers Construction. He told me how he was on a D8 and the dozer man told him it would out push that K dad took the * and the man took the 834 I think it was and pushed dad backwards. But it was on good dirt to. Dad said hje really liked it in a rock fill because once you got a good starting place at grade with the rock you could pitch your blade, Once you got going let it set down on the slide feet and away you went. Thats what like about the blade tilt we have on our converted timber cutter landfill compactor. On stingy loads you can tilt the blade forward and it speads better than trying to feather out the lift.
I worked around one on a subbed TVA job it worked a coal ash pile. They liked the mobility of it and the speed and compaction in the damp coal ash. It also push the 2 637's they had as well. I had a friend that rand a small rear steer Michigan like and 85 loader or one with a 2 yard bucket. It was a slick rig on some jobs they had a set of compactor wheels they ran on the front to. I ve saw a sad Letourneua Cdozer a scrapper cut up it was running a week earlier before I found it. It had skid steering. The cable blade was power up and down, and the tilt was cable driven in a slide. The trunnion was hinged under the belly and had the winch slide set up to tilt it. The owner had it parked down the road in a field and a scrapper thought he could just take it. Its ahame. It was used to clean up behind timber companies and was hany about the roadability of it. I know of a Green WD looks to bee of a Terex origin or Euclid kinda funny looking blade itds down at a dredge shop near amory MS in gravel country