• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

aighead

Thanks hosspuller! This is mostly pallets and cardboard, from fruits and vegetables, that he'll be burning prior to burying, but this is great info to have, I appreciate it!

I got a small little buisness nothing to big. I do septics, water lines, drop well pumps or pull them out, I also do ALOT of demos which are fun. I just do alot odds and ends really20190224_145650.jpg 20191102_134017.jpg 20191023_132102.jpg 20190224_145650.jpg 20190224_145650.jpg 20191102_134017.jpg 20191023_132102.jpg 20191102_134017.jpg 20191023_132102.jpg , I hate when people always wanting me to dig up trees lol. Where those campers are used to be a lot of nothing but trees, I built a mini 4 camper r.v park with full water,septic, electric hook up.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Nice pics Gregory :)

watch out on your pitless tool, I had made one using some chinese pipe from the big box store and about the second use right after I dropped a pump in the pipe broke right at the threads a half inch out of the pitless!!! fortunately we always use a good safety rope as that could have been bad :eek:

aighead

My hoe is itching to hit the back field, would you do it?

The pictures aren't great but what you are looking at is a bridge over the creek in my back yard. The creek is maybe 6-8 feet wide right there. Often times it's dry but sometimes there is a lot of opportunity for washout of the whole thing. We have yet to get a big rain where a washout was possible, or likely, so it hasn't been put to a real test, likely until next spring...

When we moved in to the house the bridge only had one 12" cement pipe allowing water to move from one side to the other, and there were frequent washouts which made it tough to get the mower over it or any other kind of vehicle.

I've since dug the whole thing up and added 2 more 16" PVC pipes about a foot lower than the cement one. We then covered that with dirt and rocks, and we had a pile of concrete bags that had been exposed to the rain that we laid out over the top, as seen in the first picture below, then covered that with more dirt and rocks, then compacted it pretty well. The second picture is a poor cross section but mostly representative of the construction and yeah there are pipes hiding behind the rocks there, we have had enough of a washout to move things around a bit.

The pipes are probably 2-3 feet under the surface, with the cement one being shallower.

My concern is driving a 7 ton backhoe over it and squashing any of the pipe. We have had a full size pickup truck over it with no issue, but not the backhoe. With my boulder hunting project the field will be my most likely chance to find good rocks while not disturbing the land too much, at least in ways I care about.

So, would you drive over the bridge in a piece of heavy equipment? If it collapses are there more disasters that I'm not thinking of that I may not be able to hoe out of?

bridge0.jpg bridge.jpg

hosspuller

With two feet of cover your PVC pipes assuming schedule 40 or better will support the backhoe. It's important to bed the pipes all around. Any voids weaken the load bearing of the pipe.

aighead

Is schedule 40 the rating of the pipe? My guess is it isn't that but I'm not sure. Thanks for the input! I think it's packed in very well, it's rained a lot and been driven over and packed down a lot...

hosspuller

PVC pipe comes in different schedules (meaning wall thicknesses), the most common being Schedule 40, 80 and 120. Schedule 40, used for general household above-ground sewer and vent lines, has thinner walls, while Schedule 120 has the thickest walls of the three schedules.

Usually printed on the pipe. May be abbreviated like "Sch 40" or "sch 80"

aighead

Oh, cool, thanks! This stuff is pretty thin. Like thinner than what is in the wall... We'll see. I may try it and keep my buckets and stabilizers low.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Schedule 35 is a lot thinner than 40 and is more prevalent in drainage uses... it comes in white, green,blue.... for the bigger sizes and maybe even more colors that we don't use :) there is also a thinner pipe called 2729 it's cheap! people use the 3,4, and 6 inch around for footing drains etc.... but you got to be careful installing it cause it'll break if you look at it sideways ;)

Also there is the black ADS pipe(corrugated stuff) used a lot for road crossings and stuff like that.

Tunneldigger

Occupation
Farmer with a job in town
Mine drilled a hole, well sort of, my digger but where I work their hoe. Mine is a 590 super m series 2, this one is a series 3.

Attachments

• 20191002_120740.jpg
    20191002_120740.jpg
    939 KB · Views: 34

highwayghost

Occupation
Emissions Analyst
Easily pick the tree up with the engine speed at idle

If I do anything with the rear hydraulics at idle and the cylinder hits the end of its stoke the engine will stall. It needs to be a little higher than idle. Is this normal or do I need an adjustment?

aighead

Highway ghost, I agree... I don't do any work at idle. I'm up around 2k if I'm trying to do stuff...?

That thumb looks like it works really well! I'd love to do that on mine. Does it have hydraulics or it it static? And that ash looks very familiar, I've got a lot of those!

Tinkerer

That thumb looks like it works really well! I'd love to do that on mine. Does it have hydraulics or it it static?
It is a stationary thumb Aighead. I sure wish it was hydraulic tho. It always is in the way of digging when the boom is extended very far out.
It isn't difficult to remove the link in it and fold it up tho. Just a nuisance.

Clawed Backster

Haven't used my machine enough to really trust it yet. I probably won't be eating my lunch sitting in the shade under a fully loaded front bucket. (That's a joke, for the safety patrol)
It still has a LOT of issues, but runs and works well.