• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

aighead

Hahaha! Nice to know everyone appreciates my rock love.

When I buried the horse Monday afternoon I managed to dig up a few decent rocks, but only basketball or slightly larger sized, and pushed them off to the side of the pile. After I'd filled everything in, in the back of a big field, I put the rocks in the loader and asked the caretaker of the property if he thought the horse owner minded paying me in these couple rocks, instead of the hundred bucks I'd charged her last time.

He looked at me weird and said "rocks? You want to be paid in rocks? I'm sure she'd be happy to pay you in rocks..."

I said "Yeah, I'll take just about any and as many rocks like this that I can find!"

He kept looking at me weird while I explained I was saving up to use them for landscaping in and around the pond. Then he kind of teased me because he's my back yard neighbor and he knows the pond doesn't hold water...

While I should do it I'd probably be sad to see the cost of digging a 10 foot deep hole to get a couple rocks out of... I guess if I'm already digging the hole it's fine but going on boulder hunts in my yard is probably costing me more than just going down to the quarry and buying a few truckloads.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
..... but....??? what is the cost of NOT digging the hole..????? that's the real question...

what do some people pay for all that therapy they go to????. Those psychologists should get a couple of machines, have some space.... and let their patients have at it!!
... and they would get to keep any rocks they wanted....;)

aighead

Ha!

While I agree I also worry about my machine breaking and not knowing how to or currently having the money to fix it! There is certainly some therapy in digging a nice hole.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Me and you @aighead are going to go round and round the rock on who wants the rocks the most. Don't have any of the quality people are posting pictures of but I sure am collecting some nice siltstone ones here.
Got my crush washers in for the injectors along with new stud to hold said injectors in with new nut since PO decided to put a course thread nut on fine threaded stud. Hope my hoe doesn't get all hot and bothered with the new nuts and studs, fine threaded ones at that.

aighead

Uhg and sigh @casey518, ok.... I'll still take them off your hands, if you need me too, even though it's now in a million pieces...

Actually, those flat pieces look pretty cool but also very sharp! Flat ones like that would make a lovely bottom layer of the pond.

@Spud_Monkey Now you are finding them too? And here i am digging 10 foot deep holes to find two small ones... I do have a few that are peaking up from the grass, my daughter likes to dig them up and find out if they are big enough for the backhoe or not. She dug one up that ended up only as big as maybe a grapefruit.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Searching for rock is so foreign to me. Vermont is a place glaciers went to die. Home is a river valley where river changed its course many times. Soil is rock, nothing else. I have lawn because I trucked topsoil & barn yard cleanings in.
I have other land a few miles away. Soil there is sand, very fine sand. There are some rocks, but nothing to compare. Beneath the sand is ledge, so drainage is a problem in spots.

The rock I'm lifting is enough to lift rear wheels off the ground. The machine weighs 17400 LBS.Big Rock.jpg

XSKIER

@XSKIER Those are nice! You should be able to drive straight up a wall now! Will those be harder or easier on the ground?

The hope is that they are easier on the road, and great in snow. I have 3 sites to use the 310, 5 miles in between each. I don't really plan on using it in the mud, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Them look like some pretty bad a$$ sneakers man, do you plan to still hang some kind of iron jewelry on em for the dreaded ice? Otherwise I think your gonna still be dealing with a 4WD hockey puck.....
An R4 tread is made to self clean. Mud is forced to the side going forward. In reverse they are mud collectors. When I back up with R4 tread, I haven't near as much traction.
Yours are a little of both. I'd be curious how they perform in mud & snow.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Getting a new boom and bucket, way less slop, greaseable pins, bigger bucket and bigger rams than previous one. When there is two lines busted this is only way to attach it, cause in order to get the lines off is to stretch the boom out which it has to be attached to do so.8E230E01-D91C-4097-94BB-4F21791F99ED.jpeg47D797E4-BD58-49F5-8FA5-9954B78BA32A.jpeg