• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your favorite winshield washer fluid

chroniekon

It seems like windshield washer fluid these days doesn't do much for removing the oily film on my windshield. I'm wondering if any of you have a fluid you have found that actually works. Or maybe a 'home brew' or an additive of some kind. I realize one of the characteristics for some of you needs to be is ability to work in continually freezing conditions. Not so much here. It freezes occasionally, so that's a secondary concern. I'd just like to find something that will cut the film on my windshield.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Here we have hot weather and lots of spilled fuel, oil, etc, on the roads so something to break through the grime on the glass is essential. I use regular screenwash fluid with a teaspoon of household dishwashing liquid added to it each time I fill the screenwash reservoir, that seems to get rid of the oily residue. How it would work in colder ambient temperatures I have no idea.

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
Old truckers trick:
Take a plug of chewing tobacco (largest/cheapest one available). Trim the cellophane cover off one end. With the windshield wet, scrub that opened end over the area covered by the wiper blades.
Be sure to swipe down the wiping edge of the blades. On a road truck, this will last for many miles or until you hit some fresh asphalt paving/oil slick.
Beats shaking up a hot Coca Cola and spraying the windshield, then letting the bottle slip and crack the windshield. Can just toss the plug into the glove box or on dash till needed again.

lantraxco

My Dad had a cloth bag of Bull Durham hanging on the vent knob of his '63 Dodge crew cab for years, lol.

I use 20/10 in the summer, 20/10 all season when it turns cold.

The cheap generic blue stuff leaves a streaky film on windshields that start out clean, LOL

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
If you need bulk, 55 gallon drum of methanol and a 55gallon drum of water equally mixed into another empty drum will yield a very inexpensive mix that will last for years.
A cheap 110V low pressure marine pump and a hose will suffice to fill the little empty jugs.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
I like the rainx products. I also "wax" all of my glass on the truck at the car wash. Rain tends to bead off faster and glass stays cleaner. I do hand wax my mirrors and side glass. Tends to keep them cleaner longer also.

mitch504

2 things I've found that work well, Just buy Windex in the refill size bottle and dump it in there, the other one is, in spring when we get so much fast-drying bug guts, just pure ammonia

mitch504

I don't understand your question, you saw this post, right?

Old truckers trick:
Take a plug of chewing tobacco (largest/cheapest one available). Trim the cellophane cover off one end. With the windshield wet, scrub that opened end over the area covered by the wiper blades.
Be sure to swipe down the wiping edge of the blades. On a road truck, this will last for many miles or until you hit some fresh asphalt paving/oil slick.
Beats shaking up a hot Coca Cola and spraying the windshield, then letting the bottle slip and crack the windshield. Can just toss the plug into the glove box or on dash till needed again.

I don't know about the tobacco, but the Coca Cola would make a sticky mess, seems like dirt would stick

Last edited:

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
Trick is/was back in the old days of old gas burners, 6 volt electrical systems, poor heater/defroster, and NO WINDSHIELD WASHER, you improvised....

The plug of tobacco, one end opened, and painting the wiper area pattern will clean a windshield of the oily streaks like no other. And as you move on down the road.
It you are stopped for a while and need to clean it; with it wet, just wad up a fist full of newspaper and scrub it down to dry. The ink in the paper does the action, like the tobacco does its thing.

The Coca Cola bit.. Get a hot coke/pepsicola/Dr pepper/etc, shake it up till it spews past your thumb over the opening, and spray the windshield with wipers going.
Get cola in plastic bottles, as the old glass coke bottles were hell on windshields if dropped.

You could stop at any space available; grab the plug out of the glove box, open the door, reach over and smear the driver side, get down and walk round back to see if all the bulls were still standing,
come up on the other side ,do it, crawl back in and be gone down the road making more nickels.
Just for kicks, get you a plug, bottle of Coke, and a couple of sections of news paper and put in your car/PU or truck. Next time it rains, use them instead.

If it works, ask about improvised defrosters and trailer light grounds.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I use the Coke trick if the windshield is greasy. I just open the can or plastic bottle and pour it on the windshield - instant results, takes the road grime right off. Just think what it does to our insides when we drink it!:eek:

I don't know about the tobacco, but the Coca Cola would make a sticky mess, seems like dirt would stick

Mitch I've only used it when it's a drizzly rain and you can't see out he windshield. Never had a problem with residue but the rain always washed it off.