1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

whats your favorite welding helmet

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by gusbratz, Apr 14, 2013.

1. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

One of the issues with the hoods that go under your chin like that is they are awkward in tight places and when you're looking down for some people. Hence the smaller profile of the newer style helmets. You can take one of the older style hoods and buy an autodarkening lens for it too if you want to try that.

Now the respirator setup is a very good idea to have, really saves your lungs no matter what you are welding. Unfortunately they aren't cheap but they are worth the money and will save you big $$$ on doctor bills...

2. gusbratz

gusbratz Well-Known Member

I would love to have one with the respirator but they are out of my price range. When I was in the navy I had to do lot of tig welding. With only a navy stock system issued helmet. It weighed a ton and looked straight out of the 1940’s. I had trouble with arc flash coming up under my chin and burning my neck. I would wear a bandana around my neck. I just bought a Hobart hood. Cheap. The head gear is junk. Wouldn’t stay up right off the bat. Kept tightening the screws. After about 3 hours of welding they stripped. They were about 1/2 as big in diameter as all my other hoods. I drilled it all out and heated up 10-32 brass screws and melted them right into the stubs, then melted brass nuts into the knobs. Added a friction washer into it and It’s actually pretty nice now.

3. his1911

his1911 Active Member

field service mechanic
    I've used a lot of different hoods, but my go to hood is a Jackson "big plate" with a gold filter.
    I don't see why anyone would want to use anything other than a gold lense, that's how much I like mine.
    As for head bands, mine has the adapters to attach it to a hard hat.
    Nathan

4. kiall1987

kiall1987 Active Member

optrel e680 is what I like

5. dppmfg

dppmfg Member

owner www.dppmfg.biz
    Boss jackson

6. Rob Gunn

Rob Gunn Well-Known Member

I have tried 3 different auto darkening helmets and have had bad results with all 3. Battery's go dead to often and the auto shade doesn't always work. Had lots of eye burn over the years and don't like it. The biggest issue that I find with the auto shade units is cold weather. A lot of my work is outside or inside but with no heated shop in the winter. The auto shades just don't like cold. I will stick with my "old school" flip helmet with gold lens. if anyone does know of a auto shade that will work in could weather then i sure would like to try one.

7. Joseph Marasco

Joseph Marasco Member

Heavy truck mechanic
    I have a Jackson with a gold lens is my go to. I bought a Weldcote ultraview auto darkening. Beautiful helmet, beautiful view, light weight, but after 3 months it wouldn't darken all the time. occasionally it would flutter on and off while i was welding. I haven't had a chance to change the battery, but I know it has a 3 year manufacturer warranty in the event the battery isn't the issue. It's a solar lens and I think the battery is mostly for the memory settings, but the troubleshooting in the manual suggests changing the battery.

In any event, I paid like 40 bucks for the tribal designed Jackson over 10 years ago and it is still my favorite.

8. Joseph Marasco

Joseph Marasco Member

Heavy truck mechanic
    2 guys I used to work with swear by these, they are both welder/fabricators full time. I can't justify the expense for occasional welding and repair jobs.

9. check

check Senior Member

I use old school flip helmets only, with cheap generic reading glasses underneath. Mostly I stick weld, sometimes flux core. When I fabricate, it seems that anything that isn't rugged gets destroyed one way or another. I don't want anything fancy.

10. Snow Farmer

Snow Farmer Member

Miller Elite. Got the magnifier lens, and I like that the lens is a bit bigger that the old 2 x 4 style of which I have too many.Nice lid, but not enough room for a respirator.

11. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

12. HarrisMorry

HarrisMorry New Member

13. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Welcome to HEF, Harris !
    What is the brand name of the helmet ?