• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's with the flat tires guys run out West?

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Looking at used machines, Gradall & Lulls I see many with flat type, square shoulder tires vs grader lug type I see on the East coast. Advantage or purpose?

544D10

Occupation
Lucas & Mercier Construction Co.
Our company uses both types of tires, I prefer the rock tires (pictured) as opposed to the mud tires. I think that they provide a much more stable footprint and they do not get cut as often as the mud tires because of the tighter tread.

Don'T think that rock style tires cant be driven in mud either, I have driven both types and have never gotten seriously stuck.

Attachments

• Fioria mid phase.jpg
    Fioria mid phase.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 519
  • Gianni mud '08-5.jpg
    Gianni mud '08-5.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 527

Speedpup

Occupation
Didn't think they would be that good in the mud. Looks like they would wear better than grader / mud tires.

544D10

Occupation
Here's both types of tires we run. Rock on the left and mud on the right.
It doesn't happen often but I have had a wet rock slice the mud tire wide open, not on the sidewall but in between the treads.

Attachments

• DSC02462.jpg
    DSC02462.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 452

Speedpup

Occupation
I am usually in mud or sand. Thanks for the pictures. How long do the keep the machines in your company? Years or hours, thanks!:drinkup

544D10

Occupation
We keep them for along time. We usually always have 2 machines on one job, the second one is backup in case of mechanical problems. The back up machine is usually an older lighter duty model with hours of up to 13,000. The lead machines, both in the photo above, are usually new to a couple of years old and less that 5,000 hours.