1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

What's with the 5 foot forks out West?

Discussion in 'Forklifts/Telehandlers' started by Speedpup, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Speedpup

Speedpup Senior Member

President and all else that needs done!
    Looking at used Gradalls located out west and many have 5' forks. What is the advantage of that?

2. curly

curly Well-Known Member

loader operator
    So you can get to the bottom of the mud pit and push yourself out?

3. 544D10

544D10 Well-Known Member

Lucas & Mercier Construction Co.
    All our machines have 5' forks, mostly because our foreman's offices are 8' wide and with 5' forks we can pick them up to load them on our trucks.

It also helps with carrying lots of materials even though you aren't at capacity.

4. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    My old framing contractor had 8' slide on forks that went on a standard carriage to handle both roof and floor trusses. They act like a fork extention and light material jib.

5. Speedpup

Speedpup Senior Member

Thanks! For me they would be a PITA extending past most 4' loads I have.

6. Speedpup

Speedpup Senior Member

I see they call them Lumber forks on JLG site but what lumber is packed up more than 4'?

7. john1066

john1066 Well-Known Member

We use 5 foot forks on our lull 1044c-54 so we can load out road plates. We just got our first lull this past year for in the yard and it makes life alt easier for loading pipe buckets trench boxes and plates as well as magnesium chloride in the sanders. There can be 6 loaders in the yard and everyone goes for the lull