• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's the largest excavator you pull with a pickup truck?

Allgood

I only use this machine clearing my own properties, so it's not in commercial use, but I tow a Takeuchi TB175 around with my 2006 F350 4X4 dually with a 6.0 diesel. I pull it on a 25' dual tandem pintle hitch equipment trailer and have no issues. I do have a SCT Tuner with a towing tune for the engine and tranny, but I've never had any engine or transmission issues in 100k miles. I also use the same pickup, or my old 1992 D350 SRW Dodge, to tow my Takeuchi TB145 and Takeuchi TL150 which I use to do some sublet work. Although I've towed the TB175 for years without any issues or problems, I don't really think my pickup wants anymore. With a 36" XDuty bucket and thumb on the 175 I think it weighs in just over 19,500 pounds. My trailer has two Dexter 15k oil bath axles (of course brakes on each axle) and weighs somewhere around 8k empty. Just wondering if anyone is towing much more with their pickup. Not bragging by any means, just don't think I can tow much more without asking for trouble. So far the worst I've had is somewhat heavier tire wear on the front tires trying to get everything turned in tight areas and only about 15k miles on a set of front brake pads even with the trailer brakes turned up quite a bit.

Lil' Puss

According to Ford, your maximum GCW for your truck is 15,000 lbs. with a weight distributing hitch, with 1,500 lbs. of that being on the tongue. Maximum GCW with a gooseneck is 16,700 lbs. All it would take is one accident showing you exceeded those limitations and you're done, regardless of what you think the truck is capable of or what other people are doing and getting away with. Verify this with your insurance company. :)
A F450 or F550 only gives you 16,000 lbs. on a pintle, but you get 24,000 lbs. on a gooseneck.

Last edited:

Lil' Puss

I have a stock '08 F350 DRW 4X4 crew cab 6.4L and the towing limitations are the same as yours.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Loaded question. No pun Intended....I would not tow anything bigger than 4 ton behind my pickup truck in terms of heavy equipment period....I drive a 2015 chevy duramax 3500 but use my tandem axle for all towing..

Last edited:

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Loaded question. No pun Intended....I would not tow anything bigger than 4 ton behind my pickup truck in terms of heavy equipment period....I drive a 2015 chevy duramax 3500 but use my tandem axle for all towing..

2015? Typo?

Not a typo...it's a 2015 chevrolet duramax 3500....that's right a 2015 model year...just picked it up about a month ago...

Allgood

Not that I'm in the mood to spend the money, but Dodge, um, I mean Ram has 1 ton pickups factory rated to tow 30,000 pounds. http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

I can pickup a 1999 F550 flatbed 4X4 with 130k miles and is in decent condition for $12k. It just doesn't have the crew cab and I really don't have a use for the flatbed.

Allgood

According to Ford, your maximum GCW for your truck is 15,000 lbs. with a weight distributing hitch, with 1,500 lbs. of that being on the tongue. Maximum GCW with a gooseneck is 16,700 lbs. All it would take is one accident showing you exceeded those limitations and you're done, regardless of what you think the truck is capable of or what other people are doing and getting away with. Verify this with your insurance company. :)
A F450 or F550 only gives you 16,000 lbs. on a pintle, but you get 24,000 lbs. on a gooseneck.

Gooseneck trailers are not for me. I need to get down some tight roads and, unfortunately, I've learned that a pintle hitch trailer will positively track behind the tow vehicle around corners far better than a GN trailer. I'm not overly concerned towing what I do since I have for so many years and for so many miles. A really good trailer makes a huge difference. I can stop darn near as fast fully loaded with all eight trailer tires grabbing the ground along with all six on my truck.

oldequip

Back in '81 we headed from mid Michigan to Indiana, home made heavy built with 4 mobile home axles under it, box full of spares. To grab a Trojan 100, healthy 2 1/2 yard machine, all of 12-15ton.

After using the loader to burm dirt so we could get it on the trailer, all the tires flattened out. Unloaded , pumped 150# in all 8, loaded back up. And away we went

Bumper pulled that dude back to Michigan with a 3/4 ton Chevy. Had a few flats on the trailer.

Now those were the days.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Lil' Puss

I'm not overly concerned towing what I do since I have for so many years and for so many miles. A really good trailer makes a huge difference. I can stop darn near as fast fully loaded with all eight trailer tires grabbing the ground along with all six on my truck.
Well congratulations. You've been doing it wrong for so long you've forgotten what right is. :D Personally, I'm glad I don't share the road with you, and live in a different state. I pray you don't take someone's life on the road.

Lil' Puss

Back in '81 we headed from mid Michigan to Indiana, home made heavy built with 4 mobile home axles under it, box full of spares. To grab a Trojan 100, healthy 2 1/2 yard machine, all of 12-15ton.

After using the loader to burm dirt so we could get it on the trailer, all the tires flattened out. Unloaded , pumped 150# in all 8, loaded back up. And away we went

Bumper pulled that dude back to Michigan with a 3/4 ton Chevy. Had a few flats on the trailer.

Now those were the days.

And then people wonder why there are those ridiculous laws and weight restrictions, and truck cops, etc. You can laugh about it and consider yourself lucky that you didn't kill someone. Don't think I'd be proud of that.

I digress.

1466IH

Maybe we need to change that name to sour puss. Most laws and regulations are in place for people who are doing things like this and don't realize exactly what they are doing. I have an 89 f350 that weighs 15800lbs according to the scale at the local quarry loaded with tools and I still pull skid steers and i have a 2013 dodge crew cab dualy and 25+5 gooseneck that I haul 14 2200lb hay bales on and have never had any issues. But I drive with common sense. You dont have to be first in the race. It seems that the OP has been doing this for a while and hasn't had any issues so as long as he keeps doing what he is comfortable with and takes his time there won't be any problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Lil' Puss

Maybe we need to change that name to sour puss. Most laws and regulations are in place for people who are doing things like this and don't realize exactly what they are doing. I have an 89 f350 that weighs 15800lbs according to the scale at the local quarry loaded with tools and I still pull skid steers and i have a 2013 dodge crew cab dualy and 25+5 gooseneck that I haul 14 2200lb hay bales on and have never had any issues. But I drive with common sense. You dont have to be first in the race. It seems that the OP has been doing this for a while and hasn't had any issues so as long as he keeps doing what he is comfortable with and takes his time there won't be any problems.

My only point is that under those conditions, all it takes is one fatal accident, and even if he is not at fault, he can lose everything. Anyone who's ego is larger than the engineers that design those trucks (I worked in truck R&D) is just begging for trouble. It just makes it easy for the judge. And ignorance is no excuse. Hope y'all's luck holds out. And I suggest y'all talk to your insurance carriers about this subject and report back.

Last edited:

k45

I occasionally haul a Kubota KX-121-3 (8000#) on a 14K 25' gooseneck. Truck is a Chevy C3500. It handles very well.

We upgraded to the truck when we bought a gn horsecamper. The salesman told up that our 3/4t Ford would pull it just fine. Well, it did **pull** it fine, but I could feel sway in gentle curves even with the trailer empty. Weighed the rig and the truck rear axle was 300# overweight with the trailer empty. We upgraded to the C3500 and stability returned.

As for manufacturer's tow ratings, IDK. I remember when the Chevy Chevette (1970's compact car) was rated to tow 3000#! Heck, there was no way to attach a sturdy hitch to the car, there was no frame, only sheet metal! 3000# would be a fantasy!

TreeHogger

My only point is that under those conditions, all it takes is one fatal accident, and even if he is not at fault, he can lose everything. Anyone who's ego is larger than the engineers that design those trucks (I worked in truck R&D) is just begging for trouble. It just makes it easy for the judge. And ignorance is no excuse. Hope y'all's luck holds out. And I suggest y'all talk to your insurance carriers about this subject and report back.

I couldn't agree more...I am 'performing' stunts all the time...I remember one time I could turn the wheels (front end) lock-to-lock on my '67 Ford pick up going down the road, I had so much steel in the box... But, I live in a rural area with few cars on the road...

BUT, all it takes is a dummy in a mini van to pull out it front of you.... and YIKES!

So, I am trying not to do this anymore!

Allgood

Well congratulations. You've been doing it wrong for so long you've forgotten what right is. :D Personally, I'm glad I don't share the road with you, and live in a different state. I pray you don't take someone's life on the road.

You're entitled to your opinion. As far as your judgements on me knowing what is right or wrong, I'll just toss that out with a grain of salt. The thread isn't about who can haul the most with a pickup, it's intended to see how much others are hauling with newer pickups rated to tow more than I'm towing. I have well over a million miles of towing on all sorts of roads and have yet to have a single accident. You probably think that is some coincidence, but it's not. Everything is relative. Compared to the equipment I ran in mining, my equipment is nothing but toys. Compared to my equipment, yours is toys. As I said earlier, it's not a contest or for bragging rights. I'm just curious as to what others are hauling. Unfortunately, all I seem to have gotten in response is your rants. No worries though, I'll consider them, although misplaced, good intentioned comments towards someone who, as far as you know, has zero common sense nor experience. However, if you are unaware of what new 1 ton pickups are rated to tow, you may want to do a bit of reading. Good day.

Oh, FYI, when towing in populated areas I've had DOT cops weigh me 4 different times now on their (really cool) portable scales. Never have had an issue. Therefore, it's "Allgood". :)

Last edited:

oldequip

I still think i take the cake on the risky scale.

Mind you I was passenger. Not driver. His idea.

I take risks, but nothing that wild.