• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

whats the difference?

jrtraderny

Whats the difference between ground bearing and non-ground bearing lowboys.

Groundbearing lowboys have a cylinder with a plate that contacts the ground to raise them up and down. Non-groundbearing have cylinders that raise and lower against the framework of the trailer.
jr

Reuben

Groundbearing lowboys have a cylinder with a plate that contacts the ground to raise them up and down. Non-groundbearing have cylinders that raise and lower against the framework of the trailer.
jr

I thought that but I wasnt sure.thanks:drinkup

wormkiller

Occupation
IUOE Local 150
What advantage does a ground bearin trailer have? I've got some time on a ngb load-king and a little time with a witzco with the foot. I reall miss the non-ground bearing trailer, seemed to break down and re-hook easier and faster. Also can't hoist the neck to clear stuff with the witzco.

dayexco

here we call the ground bearing trailers, "cookie cutters" on a hot day if you try to unload on asphalt, you cut a cookie right outta the mat.:eek::eek: or if it's a little wet, you can push the pad right into the mud. non ground bearing is the ONLY way to go as far as i'm concerned

sparky

What advantage does a ground bearin trailer have? I've got some time on a ngb load-king and a little time with a witzco with the foot. I reall miss the non-ground bearing trailer, seemed to break down and re-hook easier and faster. Also can't hoist the neck to clear stuff with the witzco.

You can gain a little ground clearance by putting a shimor 2 under the legs that sit on the deck of the trailer. I think I had a couple of pieces of 1" flat stock that I'd use in a pinch, but it's been 20yr since I pulled that trailer.

Wrench_one

Occupation
Mining Equipment Mechanic
Arnes builds a fine trailor no doubt. I have to laugh about the witzco cookie cutter!!!
AND my favorite trailer tail"" How many crib blocks do you have to shove in the ground
with a witzco before you are able to pick up the 235 cat?""