• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's going on with Altec??

tree98

Anybody know what's going on over at Altec? I'm interested in buying a new crane (boom truck) from them but multiple phone calls and emails go unanswered. I know they just rolled out a new model, I think a 60 ton. I wonder how they plan to sell any if they don't get back to anyone.

crane operator

Imagine how good they will be to get parts for/from if they aren't even interested in selling you a new one. I ain't no boom truck fan, but if I was buying one it would be a manitex or a national.

Every altec I've run was not a great crane, and a local sign company has two new altec sign trucks that they aren't real happy with either. The new sign trucks are all sensored up on the outriggers and if it isn't perfect, it won't let them go up. I don't mind safety features, as long as it lets you do the work.

There's a 2021 altec on machinery trader with under 8000 miles, Got a tree rack over the cab and the hidden a2b wire. In new york. Seeing no other new altecs for sale, I would guess they are concentrating their manf. on their bucket truck line, which from what I hear, are actually pretty good.

https://www.cranetrader.com/listing...1-altec-ac38-127-un-mounted-boom-truck-cranes

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Spoke with the guys at Motor Trans where I used to work, Something is up as they are having parts acquisition issues, 80+% of company equipment ALTEC.

Natman

I have about 10 or 15 hour of running a friend's 26 ton Altec, he lent it to me when my Manitex 22101S was in the shop. Brand new, he was real proud of it, I didn't like it myself. Something about the outrigger setup, it wouldn't let you operate if it wasn't setup just so. Good, on a peferct jobsite, in the real world it was a PITA. One access ladder, my Manitex had two, but for the last several years I find a short section of an extention ladder is much more handy. I just put it where it's needed, the fixed position ladders are always in the wrong place for that job! I'm partial to National, obviously.

tree98

Terex doesn't build boom trucks anymore, they were bought out by load king 2 years ago or more. I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with a manitex!! I bought a brand new 50128S 5 years ago. That machine had around $40k of warranty repairs done to it in 1 year!! I got rid of it shortly after. They are total junk not even in the same galaxy as a national or even a terex. I need a crane with a tilting cab and the only 2 manufacturer's that offer them are Mani(junk)tex and Altec. I was REALLY hoping that working with Altec wasn't going to go like this but..............

Last edited:

Perfect Gas

Terex doesn't build boom trucks anymore, they were bought out by load king 2 years ago or more. I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with a manitex!! I bought a brand new 50128S 5 years ago. That machine had around $40k of warranty repairs done to it in 1 year!! I got rid of it shortly after. They are total junk not even in the same galaxy as a national or even a terex. I need a crane with a tilting cab and the only 2 manufacturer's that offer them are Mani(junk)tex and Altec. I was REALLY hoping that working with Altec wasn't going to go like this but..............
I know some guys over at Altec. Did they ever help you out?