1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

What would cause a cylinder to do this?

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by Canadian_digger, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Canadian_digger

Canadian_digger Senior Member

E347BF08-68A7-4CB0-B7F5-97AD6C26F540.jpeg 3DED2FBC-D89C-461B-B070-BEA1571ABD5F.jpeg Have a John Deere 200D with a JRB pin grabber. Last spring it quite working properly. The seals on the piston blew out. Not about 14 month later and around 500 working hours it failed again. I had it rebuilt by a reputable shop. They made all new internals for it. Including the piston that you see cracked. How can I prevent this from happening again?

Attached Files:

2. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

What does the barrel bore look like ?

uffex and John C. like this.
  3. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Which cylinder is that?

That scars on the rod kind of indicates to me that the wear bushing inside the gland was worn out and not replaced. Other issue is that the clearances inside the gland and the barrel might have been a touch too loose. As Tinkerer says "What does the barrel bore look like?" I'm sure there is a story in there to be told.

4. Canadian_digger

I didn’t take any pictures of the bore before I sent it to get rebuilt.

5. Canadian_digger

It’s the cylinder to opens and closes the wedge on a hydraulic quick coupler 4CAC059C-A382-4D79-AE8C-EB65554066E3.jpeg

6. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

Excessive beating of soil (tamping) with the heel of the bucket.

JMilne88 likes this.
  7. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

Yup, we've destroyed nearly every hydraulic (and manual) coupler here.

8. uffex

uffex Senior Member

Admin
    Good day
    I would suggest that you focus on the cause with the goal of being prevention of another failure, there are a number of possible cause including ingress - dieseling can be prevented by full stroking the cylinder in both directions without any pressure - failure to provide relief and as pointed out the condition of the jacket is an important point.
    Attached a cylinder repair document whilst in the main is regarding larger cylinders the same principles apply.
    Kind regards
    Uffex

Attached Files:

Tinkerer likes this.