• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What would cause a cylinder to do this?

Canadian_digger

E347BF08-68A7-4CB0-B7F5-97AD6C26F540.jpeg 3DED2FBC-D89C-461B-B070-BEA1571ABD5F.jpeg Have a John Deere 200D with a JRB pin grabber. Last spring it quite working properly. The seals on the piston blew out. Not about 14 month later and around 500 working hours it failed again. I had it rebuilt by a reputable shop. They made all new internals for it. Including the piston that you see cracked. How can I prevent this from happening again?

Attachments

• EADCAB91-38AF-4863-8A01-CC101D6C67BC.jpeg
    EADCAB91-38AF-4863-8A01-CC101D6C67BC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Which cylinder is that?

That scars on the rod kind of indicates to me that the wear bushing inside the gland was worn out and not replaced. Other issue is that the clearances inside the gland and the barrel might have been a touch too loose. As Tinkerer says "What does the barrel bore look like?" I'm sure there is a story in there to be told.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
I would suggest that you focus on the cause with the goal of being prevention of another failure, there are a number of possible cause including ingress - dieseling can be prevented by full stroking the cylinder in both directions without any pressure - failure to provide relief and as pointed out the condition of the jacket is an important point.
Attached a cylinder repair document whilst in the main is regarding larger cylinders the same principles apply.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• Cylinder repair.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 7