• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what would be the skid steer to buy for the first time

Carolina start up

well since my first well since july so first year in business is coming to a end since lawn care is ending im thinking about next year and my thoughts are a skid steer so what would be a good one. plan on using it for bush cutting not mulching driveway grading mostly and some tree work related stuff

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Here are some things to consider:

Decide how much power you want. Below 75 hp keeps you out of SCR (DEF). If you want a higher performance machine and you need to go above 75 hp, you will have to deal with DEF. I personally have never had any DEF issues, but many do.

Lift design, Radial or Vertical. Radial machines are easier to see out of typically. Fewer grease zerks, fewer moving parts. The downside is that they dont have the reach that vertical machines do. This helps when dumping into dump trucks to place the material in the center of the truck. Verticals tend to lift more weight for an equally sized machine in comparison. I prefer radial machines for grading.

The next decision is how much ROC or Rated Operating Capacity you want. ROC is half of what the machine can lift in static operation. Machines in the 2200-2500 pound ROC tend to be the most popular.

Tracks or Wheels is typically asked, but you seem to have made that decision.

You will want to pay attention to GPM on the aux. hydraulics. This number will indicate how well the machine will power attachments, pretty important if you want to do brush cutting. You also can decide if you need high flow hyd. This function allows the machine to operate at a higher gpm than do normal aux. hyd. Some attachments require that function. You dont need it to brush cut, but the performance tends be better with high flow.

Another decision is enclosed Cab or not. I assume being in NC that a full cab would be pretty important.

As for what color you should buy once you know what basic machine you want. I would visit dealers around you, do some demos and see what machines you like doing what you want to do with it. Try to get an idea of what kind of support the dealer can and will provide, it will be a marriage of sorts so go in prepared.

Carolina start up

Here are some things to consider:

Decide how much power you want. Below 75 hp keeps you out of SCR (DEF). If you want a higher performance machine and you need to go above 75 hp, you will have to deal with DEF. I personally have never had any DEF issues, but many do.

Lift design, Radial or Vertical. Radial machines are easier to see out of typically. Fewer grease zerks, fewer moving parts. The downside is that they dont have the reach that vertical machines do. This helps when dumping into dump trucks to place the material in the center of the truck. Verticals tend to lift more weight for an equally sized machine in comparison. I prefer radial machines for grading.

The next decision is how much ROC or Rated Operating Capacity you want. ROC is half of what the machine can lift in static operation. Machines in the 2200-2500 pound ROC tend to be the most popular.

Tracks or Wheels is typically asked, but you seem to have made that decision.

You will want to pay attention to GPM on the aux. hydraulics. This number will indicate how well the machine will power attachments, pretty important if you want to do brush cutting. You also can decide if you need high flow hyd. This function allows the machine to operate at a higher gpm than do normal aux. hyd. Some attachments require that function. You dont need it to brush cut, but the performance tends be better with high flow.

Another decision is enclosed Cab or not. I assume being in NC that a full cab would be pretty important.

As for what color you should buy once you know what basic machine you want. I would visit dealers around you, do some demos and see what machines you like doing what you want to do with it. Try to get an idea of what kind of support the dealer can and will provide, it will be a marriage of sorts so go in prepared.
I have a few machines in mind a cat 259, kubota slv 90 , Takeuchi tac 12 , and maybe a bobcat 550 and then maybe a new holland I don’t know the numbers for them I think 332 or 232 not sure

Welder Dave

Brush cutting or tall weeds and grass cutting? If the latter a tractor and 3 pt. brush hog or maybe a HD flail mower would be faster, less expensive and more efficient. You just started your company and now are looking at spending some serious coin on equipment. What is your budget? A high flow skid steer and brush cutter in decent shape will be quite expensive. That's OK if you know you have the work but keep in mind there's a lot of maintainence and upkeep, especially with a used machine. If you get a skid steer check local dealers to see what attachments can be rented for your skid steer of choice. Then you can try attachments out before purchasing or just rent them when required. Augers, concrete breakers, brush cutters, etc. If being used year round, you probably want 3 buckets, smooth, tooth and snow. Bolt on cutting edge is mandatory for the snow bucket and highly recommended for the smooth bucket. Pallet forks are a nice accessory to have too. Just be careful trying to lift things like pallets of sod. They are heavier than expected.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Your selection is kind of all over the place. These are tracked machines not SSL. The Cat 259 is medium sized machine sub 75 hp. The Taki TL12 is one of the biggest machines on the market over 100 hp and SCR. A Bobcat 550 is one of the smallest. The NH 232 is larger machine. I would look over what I suggested and decide what your looking for in a machine so you can narrow down your options.

Carolina start up

Brush cutting or tall weeds and grass cutting? If the latter a tractor and 3 pt. brush hog or maybe a HD flail mower would be faster, less expensive and more efficient. You just started your company and now are looking at spending some serious coin on equipment. What is your budget? A high flow skid steer and brush cutter in decent shape will be quite expensive. That's OK if you know you have the work but keep in mind there's a lot of maintainence and upkeep, especially with a used machine. If you get a skid steer check local dealers to see what attachments can be rented for your skid steer of choice. Then you can try attachments out before purchasing or just rent them when required. Augers, concrete breakers, brush cutters, etc. If being used year round, you probably want 3 buckets, smooth, tooth and snow. Bolt on cutting edge is mandatory for the snow bucket and highly recommended for the smooth bucket. Pallet forks are a nice accessory to have too. Just be careful trying to lift things like pallets of sod. They are heavier than expected.
well this was something do to remax a talk came up for me to manage 220 houses for them and id need a skid steer well after a lot of thought i wont in the mood to deal with remax and there "oversight". so right now i still want a machine but it wont be brand new i think im try and find a bobcat 853 for about 5-10k and pay cash be get like a f550 as a small dump truck if next year goes well

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
KSSS made some great points but I'd like to add that the radial vs. vertical lift comes into question with full size class 8 trucks. Loading a truck that high with a vertical lift will require loading from both sides to get it full. I've been able to load class 3 to 5 trucks full easily with my vertical lift machine, so it's not really an issue on smaller trucks if that's what you plan to use.

Carolina start up

KSSS made some great points but I'd like to add that the radial vs. vertical lift comes into question with full size class 8 trucks. Loading a truck that high with a vertical lift will require loading from both sides to get it full. I've been able to load class 3 to 5 trucks full easily with my vertical lift machine, so it's not really an issue on smaller trucks if that's what you plan to use.
i think the smallest truck id go with be a 550 with the dump body but right now with no remax contract i can plan and look more now