• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What to inspect when buying Second Hand Bulldozer

CAT D8 N

Hi,

I would be the least person here to be asked about technical inspection when buying a Used piece of iron, but have picked up a few tricks and some knowledge from shopping around in auctions and yards. I wanted to post this thread to help out begeners, and I'm one of them. And for ou experts here to pitch in. So let me start,

- Go around the machine and look for leaks (engine, rams, hoses, pumps)
- Check for welded parts, such as sprockets, tracks & locks, and arms.
- Check the undercarriage for any damage or worn parts.
- Start up and listen to the engine and see how smooth or clunky it goes, and look for the amount of smoke and color and for how long it continues to blow.
- Engage it in gear and check how it responds to shifting into gear. And go forward and backwards and listen to any noises, the rollers could be worn out and would make a loud sqeeky noise
- Check for any missing bolts on the tracks or even missing tracks.
- Ask for any oil analysis done on the machine.

Well that's what I could think of now, what do you guys think should be checked?

Last edited:

Trakwork

Occupation
owner/operator --semi retired
Good list.. only I would add to check the Pressure gauges for Oil, Transmission, and Hydraulic pump.Take along a sprocket undercarriage wear spec. tool , so to compare with the hrs meter.

rditz

if you can move the machine around a bit, check steering and sterring brakes for responsiveness. Also operate the hydraulics and note any noises..
-check for the grease in the obvious grease points, is it old or does it look new. what colour is the grease (could imply water in the joint that the grease is pushing out) maybe the zerk won't allow grease so the pin or joint is dry.

check for play in any of the linkages...

rod

CAT D8 N

Good list.. only I would add to check the Pressure gauges for Oil, Transmission, and Hydraulic pump.Take along a sprocket undercarriage wear spec. tool , so to compare with the hrs meter.

Now that's what I'm talking about when it comes to sharing knowledge and experience, "sprocket undercarriage wear spec. tool , so to compare with the hrs meter" that is unheard of here and I wouldn't know where to start looking for one of those tools. Can you point me to a direction mate?

Thanks for participating.

Trakwork

Occupation
Track tools are dealer items. Call Cat. I have used Terex Dozers the wear gauges came from Terex.

Trakwork

Occupation
Track tool...

Attachments

• Track tool -1.jpg
    Track tool -1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 4,829
  • Track tool -2.jpg
    Track tool -2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 4,816

ziggy

Occupation
unemployed
You can use a tape measure to see whats left on the rails compared to a newer machine.A micrometer is better.On Komatsus run your fingers over the top rollers,if their razor sharp on the outside then they are wore out and theres a good chance the rest of the undercarriage is.

thebaz

Another couple of things,
Check the color of all fluids. The oil condition and color can be a great indicator of components condition and what the maintenance schedule has been like.
It is also a good idea to try and run a machine for at least half an hour and see if the temperatures rise abnormally and if pressures drop below acceptable limits. Look also for obvious signs of steam cleaning where the paint has more color indicating it was covered with oil. This can be a good way for a seller to mask oil leaks in the short term. Another one is check for hydraulic creep. Not always noticeable when operating, but can drive you crazy when you need stuff to stay where you left it, like rippers dragging on the ground after an hour.
Baz

ziggy

Occupation
unemployed
2nd gear tourqe stall,heat it up,see how fast it heats up and cools down but the seller might not like you doing this,if it's in good shape then it should'nt be a problem.
This test will also tell if the engines got a problem.

YELLOMTLMILITIA

check to make sure the duo cone seals arnt leaking

raise the blade slightly and then lower to the ground slowly se how long it takes to hit resistance, so you can feel how much slack is in the pins and trunions for the blade.

if it has a messenger interface then check for codes.

look for hour meter readings written on filters.

If your not in a hurry go buy a CAT sample kit and pull some samples, if your in a real hurry find a local place that does oil sample reports

big ben

Maybe on the obvious side but when I inspect machines just looking at the machine from a walk around tells me what I'm in for. If the glass is cracked, dash screws half missing (or too tight and plastic all cracked), metal door panels bent, mud/grease everywhere, vice grips on the heater hoses, dirt down the dipstick tube, etc. you know what this machines life has been like. Again if it looks like it just had a 5 gallon overhaul it raises questions. I know, I know not all used machines can look like new and things get hit/bent/wear and tear but you can just tell by looking at a machine sometimes if its had a hard life. I like machines that look like they match the hour meters. A little paint missing here or there, decals a little faded but not blown off from a pressure washer, pans not full of mud up to the oil pan and just generally look maintained.

JimInOz

I always try to check roller condition...both top & bottom,plus I give the sprockets & idlers a bit of a shove to check for wobble.
Run the dozer in a stockpile for awhile & let it warm up,so you can check responsiveness of trans,engine,hydraulics,steering,etc.

AU.CASE

Occupation
Grazier // Rancher remote NSW
Hi all, great thread!

Two things I use.

Bolts that are glued in, yes Araldite or similar, but they are actually broken ones, stuck in and painted over to make a sale, big problem and hard to find.

Free play in control levers for hydraulics and brake pedals, a good indicator.

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Great thread! I've been looking for a old cheap small dozer. Never owned one. I've got about 2 hours on a JD MC, 100 on a D8K with powershift and 6 on a cable lift D6. So "I KNOW NOTHING!"......I'm not in any hurry to buy and only want one as a "toy" and light farm work. Now I'm much better armed thanks you this thread!

Rick

CAT D8 N

One of the most hellarious things to look out for is to make sure it does not have a "fiberglass ripper"....... :eek: yes you heard that right, I saw one in a auction yard that had a broken ripper and was patched up with some fiber glass.