• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What the heck is this tool?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Trying to look smart on another forum so does anyone know what this tool is used for, thinking it is something only used in colder climates from the person who posted it. Someone guessed it was for tire chains but was told NO!

tool.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Well what kind of threw me was the person who posted the picture said: "You might have spent time as a mechanic in the great white north if you know what this is!"
Like rust and muddy conditions are exclusive to the "snow country?"

Usually around here when a normal wrench won't do a hot wrench is the next step AKA the "Blue Tip wrench"!

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Works well on open end ring spanners( wrenchs) .

JPV

I don't know why a wrench extender is exclusive to the great white north, as far as I know they are used anywhere there are tight bolts or hoses you can't get a socket on!

Bluox

Well kiss my donkey,
I've never seen one like that ,it fits on the head, looks like it would only fit smaller wrenches and about 13" long.
All the ones I've seen or built had opposing hooks that fit the side of shaft of the wrench and could be slid up or down .
The longest one I built was 4 ft. and had a shackle on the end to use my truck crane on.
Bob

Truck Shop

When I worked on ag trucks the fertilizer would destroy nuts and bolts in no time, painted or not.
Fastest way was burn them off. Saved wearing out air guns and sockets and your wrists. Keeping a
vast stock of fasteners of all types was just part of it.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
When I worked on ag trucks the fertilizer would destroy nuts and bolts in no time, painted or not.
Fastest way was burn them off. Saved wearing out air guns and sockets and your wrists. Keeping a
vast stock of fasteners of all types was just part of it.

Yup. A scarfing, or rivet washing tip is your friend in these type instances.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I'm kinda surprised to see someone is selling something like that for that purpose, to exceed the design strength of another product. We've all done it but I think we all hold our breath while we are. I can see this company being the target of lawsuits.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I'm usually just yelling at one of the guys we need a bigger pipe, this one doesn't fit over the 1 1/4" wrench lol.

Pipe????? I use a tractor PTO shaft myself. It's triangular shaped and fits a wrench on either the open, or the box end quite nicely. You get the wrench in two corners of the shaft and it's a lot more stable than a round pipe.

Explodes box end wrenches pretty easily too.....

kshansen

Occupation
Management where I worked got real fussy about using the pipe on wrench methods. So just had to look both ways before doing it! Same thing with wrenches made out of flat stock to work in special places.

Strange thing is no one seemed to get upset if you used a 16:1 torque multiplier on a socket but don't put a 2 foot extension on a 3/4 drive ratchet!