• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What Size?

GGDOZERINC

How big of a scraper could I pull with a 165hp dual wheel 2 wheel drive tractor? If it would pull one at all. And what are some good brands to look at of this size? Thanks

Nothinbetter

What type of soil? How old and what brand of tractor? If it's hard clay with rocks like around here, I'd say don't even try, if it's sandy soil it might do alright. If it's an old IH tractor with a torque amplifer set up I'd say no. If it's a newer tractor with a power shift or like trans. again maybe. I've seen tractors have all they can do to pull a 5 bottom plow, same model tractor, different soil pull a 7 bottom easy.

Your question is just so general it's hard to say. You might want to post this question under the Ag topic. If anyone has used a similar set up I would think it would be there.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
limiting yourself to a 2wd, 165hp isnt going to make for tons of scraper choices. I wouldn't go bigger than a 8yd. Also i'd wanna have a second machine there to be able to get a stuck scraper and tractor out.

GGDOZERINC

Yea I was thinking of a 8 to 12 yard pan. The dirt around hear dosnt really get hard untill you get deep. It would mainly be used to remove topsoil and also be loaded with excavators to move dirt around on jobs. It really wouldnt be used for large scale earth moving. It never would be on a job by itself.

GGDOZERINC

What type of soil? How old and what brand of tractor? If it's hard clay with rocks like around here, I'd say don't even try, if it's sandy soil it might do alright. If it's an old IH tractor with a torque amplifer set up I'd say no. If it's a newer tractor with a power shift or like trans. again maybe. I've seen tractors have all they can do to pull a 5 bottom plow, same model tractor, different soil pull a 7 bottom easy.

Your question is just so general it's hard to say. You might want to post this question under the Ag topic. If anyone has used a similar set up I would think it would be there.

Its a ford tractor and the soil is not hard at all until you get deep and no rocks.

bell142

what part of Louisiana are you in? 8yd pan on that size tractor is all i would run. I have an old 6yd pan on a 1266 Internation its all the pan that tractor wants. be sure to have plenty of weight on the front and water in the tires

JD DURFEY

I live in Stephenville TX. One of my clients has a JD 4440 that he pulls a 7 yd scrapper with. He has no problems in our hard dirt as long as he takes his time and runs long cuts. He says that if you jam the pan in the ground it will just spin the tires.

The 4440 is a 2 wheel drive tractor with out duals and I believe rated at 140 hp

aglasergps

Occupation
Managing Director - TOOMEY EARTHMOVERS
I started levelling with a John Deere 4640 2WD in 1979. I think they were about 180 engine hp but I could be wrong there. We pulled a 10 foot wide carry grader for levelling irrigation fields for growing sugar cane in North Qld, Australia. It worked fine most of the time. I'd suggest you need no bigger than the 10 foot cutting edge width in a carry type scraper but you could go wider if you pull a blade type grader (we call them landplane over here). Don't know what is available over there but I wouldn't go too big with a 2WD.....