• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What size chains for transport???

caseaddict01

I have a Case 1845C that I would guess weighs around 7000 lbs. and I need to transport it, but I'm not sure of what size chain I need to get to keep from having problems with Dear 'Ol DOT. I know to get Grade 70, but should I get 5/16, 3/8, or what??? By the Way in case it makes any difference I'm in Tennessee and the machine will only be transported in Tennessee.

Komatsu 150

5/16 is probably legal but 3/8 transport in 20 foot lengths already assembled with hooks is the cheapest to buy from a truck parts store, much cheaper than buying bulk chain and hooks usually.

JDOFMEMI

While 5/16 would be OK, I would go with 3/8 just so I had the bigger chain to work with doing other thinks. 5/16 gets beat up pretty easy.

You should be OK with either 2 long chains or 4 short ones. Some extras are always good to have, so you can tie down other things as well.

For light duty like that, G-70 is fine. If you get to hauling bigger items, G-80 or G-100 is better.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
X3 I hate messing with short chains for a Skidsteer JIMO