• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What should I offer for this loader?

Serv

I've been keeping my eyes open for a front end loader for chores around the yard and found this machine while driving around today. It's a Komatsu WA200 with 17.5-25 tires on it and I don't know the year model. The owner wasn't around so I don't even know if it's for sale yet or not. Two tires are down on it, a bunch of broken glass and I have no clue as to the mechanical condition of it. There were a couple of guys there that said it had been sitting for around half a year. Can anyone give me an idea as to what it might be worth or what I should begin to offer? (assuming there are no huge motor or tranny issues)

I tried to resize and upload the pic here, but the forum pic limits are too small for this picture. please click the link below to see the loader. :thumbsup

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/sy733/komatsuloader.jpg

thanks,

serv

Serv

That bad? Should I even offer anything at all? I guess I could go over there with my torch and ask him if he wants some scrap steel money for it. :naughty

I havent had time to even get to that side of town since I saw it. I was thinking to start at $5,000 and not go over $10,000. I checked machinerytrader and a few others, but there aren't that many of them for sale for comparison's sake.

Serv

Matches???:rolleyes:

I know, it's hard to say without even having talked to the guy yet. It may have a trashed engine for all we know. But I live in a town where EVERYTHING is for sale. But lately there's just something about abandoned looking equipment that attracts me. :yup The uglier, the better!

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I apologise for the humour...two things...I don't think that machine is very old but I think its the model that had a habit of blowing diffs. If the the diff and trans is OK then it might just be a steal. Don't forget cost of rubber these days..could be some big bucks...but I think you know that already:wink2

Serv

I apologise for the humour...two things...I don't think that machine is very old but I think its the model that had a habit of blowing diffs. If the the diff and trans is OK then it might just be a steal. Don't forget cost of rubber these days..could be some big bucks.

No need to apologize. :crying

Thanks for the heads up on the diff's. :thumbsup

A couple of things worth mentioning though. If the diff's and trans is Ok, I won't be loading dirt with it, just using it around the yard. Second thing is, I'm in the tire business! I have no less than twenty 17.5-25's in stock at all times. :Cowboy High tread, vulcanized, and ready to go. I was thinking a worn out set of Michelin radial 20.5-25's would be the way to go If I could fit them under those fenders. :yup

Now, what if it does have a blow diff or tranny? Is it totally scrap or should I buy it for scrap money and fix it?

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I just took a look at IronPlanet's auction results, and they've only had two of those in the last couple years, a WA-200, and a WA200-1. The 200 was in pretty decent shape and went for $25,000, and the 200-1 was said to run ok, but it had a really long list of TLC type stuff needed. It went for $12,000.

I think you might be on to something with offering to cut it up. If it's been sitting like that, chances are it does have a major problem...

Wulf

Other than the tires which you say can deal with, the machine looks in nice shape, panels look straight and solid with not much rust. I think that is a WA200-1 and I think all of these were made in Japan (check the SN plate).

It should have a Komatsu 105 engine which was a solid performer with great durability and also used in the -3 excavators.

Its hard to give advice from one photo but unless someone can tell you exactly why its been parked for so long you need to have the loader running with good batteries and charging at 24V to ensure that the electrical dashboard monitor is functional and the electric shift transmission is working. It has a countershaft transmission, no real vices there either.

Brakes are inboard within the differential housing and work of a booster system using transmission pressure to apply brakes (no air system :) )and in my experience were pretty trouble-free... I would also say the same about the axles but Squizzy heard of problems in Australia.

Hydraulics are pretty simple, but you would need to ensure everything is fully functional and make sure the boom and linkage are not bent.

You could end up with a really nice loader there Serv especially if you pick it up at the right price.

Serv

I just took a look at IronPlanet's auction results, and they've only had two of those in the last couple years, a WA-200, and a WA200-1. The 200 was in pretty decent shape and went for $25,000, and the 200-1 was said to run ok, but it had a really long list of TLC type stuff needed. It went for $12,000.

I think you might be on to something with offering to cut it up. If it's been sitting like that, chances are it does have a major problem...

thanks for looking that up for me. I had forgotten about ironplanet in my search. :bash :rolleyes:

Serv

What are you going to use it for?

No dirt digging or loading. I need something to help with putting up a metal shed/building at a bare piece property I bought about a year ago among many other yard duties. I'll be moving my operation there soon to eliminate rent on my current place. I need the most versatile machine I can find that will help us work through that. Also, I like to find cheap anything's that I can fix and acquire for a fraction of the cost of new or ready to go used. :Cowboy The heavy equipment stuff is relatively new to me though.

Serv

Other than the tires which you say can deal with, the machine looks in nice shape, panels look straight and solid with not much rust. I think that is a WA200-1 and I think all of these were made in Japan (check the SN plate).

It should have a Komatsu 105 engine which was a solid performer with great durability and also used in the -3 excavators.

Its hard to give advice from one photo but unless someone can tell you exactly why its been parked for so long you need to have the loader running with good batteries and charging at 24V to ensure that the electrical dashboard monitor is functional and the electric shift transmission is working. It has a countershaft transmission, no real vices there either.

Brakes are inboard within the differential housing and work of a booster system using transmission pressure to apply brakes (no air system :) )and in my experience were pretty trouble-free... I would also say the same about the axles but Squizzy heard of problems in Australia.

Hydraulics are pretty simple, but you would need to ensure everything is fully functional and make sure the boom and linkage are not bent.

You could end up with a really nice loader there Serv especially if you pick it up at the right price.

:notworthy

dang, You da man!

I just drove down there and bothered the land owner about the machine. He said "It doesn't belong to me, you may know the owner". I told him I'd call the owner at home and he said "Tell him to call me too. I need this thing out of here!"

Well, it turns out I do in fact know the owner. I called the owner, which is a friend of mine (I know, Sunday) and he told me all about it. The machines starts and runs great, lifts and dumps. But he said it doesn't move at all forward or back. The last time he ran it, he said it stopped moving. He said it needs the transmission clutches. Could be anything I guess though.

It is a WA200-1 and I took about 7 more photos of it. let me resize them and attempt to post them here in a bit.

As for price, he said he paid 12k for it about 5 years ago and he said he'll start the price at half that and likely even do better than that when we get together tomorrow on this. He doesn't feel like fixing the tires and hauling it off and would rather me do it. It does have the digital dash and I managed to get a serial number from it.

Where should I look for a tranny rebuild kit? Or, if I buy it, should we start by tearing it down to see what's REALLY going on here? I would really like to own this machine and it will live an easy life in our hands. :yup Is the tranny such a big deal?

Wulf

Serv,

Steve is right and you could really luck-out because it could be an electrical fault that would prevent it moving forward or reverse as its pretty unlikely that both forward and reverse clutches would fail at the same time. The electrical system is quite complex, it has relays and switches to neutralize the tranny if you try and start it in gear and to prevent driving off with the parking brake on. You would think this was already checked out but unless you know the machine and have a schematic you could get confused with troubleshooting.

Darn... It's a real pity about the cab being neglected and in such shape with the broken windows isn't it.

cat320

Charter Member
Well looks like tha cab is rough but the engine looks good. If it is not moving it could be a very simple relay ,that happebed to my 580 if you could get it to your yard it probably be a great machin after you clean it up.

Jeff D.

But lately there's just something about abandoned looking equipment that attracts me.
I'm not alone?:wink2

I think it sound like it might be a good deal too, Serv.

Especially if it's something simple like Wulf was mentioning. How cool would that be?!

Good Luck.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I apologise for the humour...

:eek: Don't just let that slide by Serv.......thats a first. You can tell it don't happen much cause he can't even spell it right. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a good deal with the loader. If not then you picked up a new hobby which is still a good thing. :yup