• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What oil filter

Rickyb1968

Not trying to start a war. I have an Kobelco excavator and it has an Isuzu motor. My local service station stocks Baldwin and Donaldson filters. I read a thread on here where one of those filters were better than the other but that was a long time ago and can’t find it. Is there a clear winner or is it ford and Chevy type argument. Thanks

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I've used both and really haven't had issue with either. The only real gripe I have is I tend to notice Baldwin doesn't seal some of their filters in plastic, just shipped open in its box. For a filter that just goes right from the parts counter to the job I don't think its a super big deal. If its going to bounce around in a cabinet in a service truck for a few weeks the cardboard starts to chaff and get inside the filter, which I don't like.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
In a previous life, working for a Napa truck center, there were issues with Wix filters. Several reports of the filter media coming apart and blocking oil passages. Never had a hiccup with Donaldson or factory filters. I won't use Baldwin unless there's no other choice . Too many times, chasing down fuel related problems that trace back to a "will fit" filter.

Truck Shop

I buy Baldwin by the pickup load, if it ain't red I ain't buying it, best filter there is bar none.
If you ain't got Baldwin you ain't got sh!t. It's what the top drive-ins and restaurants use to
filter the grease from the deep fat fryer, if it works for food it will keep that 50k diesel engine
running in top form. Baldwin is the only one who manufactures spin on oil filters 20' tall and
7' in diameter for the biggest ship engines in the world!

cfherrman

There's nothing wrong with those two brands. I used Hastings before they were red and now I use Baldwin. I've never had a filter related problem, only sometimes a fuel filter is plugged up after 4 months because stupid hands don't change them.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Can’t go wrong with either one. My only filter related issue has been on Cat’s. Anything but a Cat secondary fuel filter doesn’t last as long. Maybe 3-4k miles with another brand and 5-6k with Cat before I can start to feel it in the seat of my pants.

I’ve run Wix on a ton of stuff and yet to have an issue with proper intervals. I’ve had a couple Fleetguard spring a leak in the can after a few hours on a machine. After that batch I never had another issue.

Rickyb1968

Ok thanks for the comments. Probably going with Donaldson but want be scared to use Baldwin if they are out of Donaldson.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Engine oil filters are all gateway filters and made of cellulose. The differences are in the mountings of the elements. The filtering material is woven in a tightness to block particles of a certain size. Cellulose will swell if water hits it and block flow. Bypass checks are installed to relieve high differential pressure across the filter media. Change oil and filters at manufacturer recommended intervals and name brand stuff will never give you a problem.

Volvomad

On older gear, I tended to stretch intervals a little since oil in general has improved but newer machines have pretty stretched intervals already so I go more by the book

Rickyb1968

Well this has been quite the ordeal. I ordered Donaldson filters and when they arrived I had a hydraulic filter as my bypass filter. The company sent me the correct filter. When I put the filters on I can’t get the full flow to quit dripping oil. After pulling it off the second time and comparing it to the Kobelco filter I’m going back with OEM. The OEM filter has at least a 1/8” more rubber on oring. Has more holes to accept oil. So with this machine I think that is my best move.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The only way to check filters is to buy them, then cut them apart. The el-cheapo construction ones will soon show up as containing less filter media (wider pleats), thinner metal, poor or inadequate glue application holding the filter media, a lack of additional seals provided, and el-cheapo packaging.
Way too many filters, including supposedly "top name" brands come inadequately packaged. There must be at least different 200 filter manufacturers, so it must be a very lucrative business.

Rickyb1968

Well I don’t have a clue if those Kobelco filters are made any better than the Donaldson filters. They sure cost a lot more but I went thru my dealer this time. The full flow had a number on it but the bypass filter didn’t. It only said Kobelco oil filter and then everything else was in Japanese. Hopefully when I get the invoice it will show the number. They had to order both filters so I had them shipped to my home. Time will get me before hours (500) on oil change. I feel like changing it out every year is the right thing to do. Im no where near putting 500 hours on it a year. I use Mack filters on dump truck, cat filters on dozer so why wouldn’t I use Kobelco filters on this machine. I’m sure I got more to learn.

cfherrman

I typically use OEM filters on everything (use Baldwin on my N14), it's just not worth it if they are junk filters. The Ford 6.0 aftermarket filters did a lot to hurt that engines reputation, the aftermarket fuel filters didn't have a weep hole in them to let air out so only about 20% of the filter would be used before it got clogged and the aftermarket oil filter has a ton of different problems.

Truck Shop

Kirkland---it's a great filter, and can get a deal on some ribeye steaks while there.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I'd still like to know if this guy ever donated $25.00 to charity as per our agreement for an NOS fuel cap for his Caterpillar dozer, or if he thumbed his nose at my good gratis to help him out.