1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

What oil filter

Discussion in 'Lubrication' started by Rickyb1968, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Rickyb1968

Rickyb1968 Well-Known Member

Not trying to start a war. I have an Kobelco excavator and it has an Isuzu motor. My local service station stocks Baldwin and Donaldson filters. I read a thread on here where one of those filters were better than the other but that was a long time ago and can’t find it. Is there a clear winner or is it ford and Chevy type argument. Thanks

2. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

Donaldson is the premier of the 2.............but I have used both with no issues. Donaldson is naturally a bit more expensive.

3. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Wrench Bender
    I've used both and really haven't had issue with either. The only real gripe I have is I tend to notice Baldwin doesn't seal some of their filters in plastic, just shipped open in its box. For a filter that just goes right from the parts counter to the job I don't think its a super big deal. If its going to bounce around in a cabinet in a service truck for a few weeks the cardboard starts to chaff and get inside the filter, which I don't like.

Truck Shop, Nige and Vetech63 like this.
  4. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    In a previous life, working for a Napa truck center, there were issues with Wix filters. Several reports of the filter media coming apart and blocking oil passages. Never had a hiccup with Donaldson or factory filters. I won't use Baldwin unless there's no other choice . Too many times, chasing down fuel related problems that trace back to a "will fit" filter.

Vetech63 and Truck Shop like this.
  5. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    Another vote for Donaldson out of the 2 options presented.

Vetech63 and funwithfuel like this.
  6. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    I buy Baldwin by the pickup load, if it ain't red I ain't buying it, best filter there is bar none.
    If you ain't got Baldwin you ain't got sh!t. It's what the top drive-ins and restaurants use to
    filter the grease from the deep fat fryer, if it works for food it will keep that 50k diesel engine
    running in top form. Baldwin is the only one who manufactures spin on oil filters 20' tall and
    7' in diameter for the biggest ship engines in the world!

Vetech63 and funwithfuel like this.
  7. cfherrman

cfherrman Senior Member

There's nothing wrong with those two brands. I used Hastings before they were red and now I use Baldwin. I've never had a filter related problem, only sometimes a fuel filter is plugged up after 4 months because stupid hands don't change them.

Vetech63 likes this.
  8. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    Can’t go wrong with either one. My only filter related issue has been on Cat’s. Anything but a Cat secondary fuel filter doesn’t last as long. Maybe 3-4k miles with another brand and 5-6k with Cat before I can start to feel it in the seat of my pants.

I’ve run Wix on a ton of stuff and yet to have an issue with proper intervals. I’ve had a couple Fleetguard spring a leak in the can after a few hours on a machine. After that batch I never had another issue.

Vetech63 likes this.
  9. Rickyb1968

Rickyb1968 Well-Known Member

Ok thanks for the comments. Probably going with Donaldson but want be scared to use Baldwin if they are out of Donaldson.

Vetech63 likes this.
  10. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Engine oil filters are all gateway filters and made of cellulose. The differences are in the mountings of the elements. The filtering material is woven in a tightness to block particles of a certain size. Cellulose will swell if water hits it and block flow. Bypass checks are installed to relieve high differential pressure across the filter media. Change oil and filters at manufacturer recommended intervals and name brand stuff will never give you a problem.

56wrench, Nige, Vetech63 and 4 others like this.
  11. Volvomad

Volvomad Senior Member

On older gear, I tended to stretch intervals a little since oil in general has improved but newer machines have pretty stretched intervals already so I go more by the book

56wrench and Vetech63 like this.