• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What makes a trailer

cat320

Charter Member
OK to start this thread off Here is a question.What makes a trailer a good trailer? When you go looking for one many different manufactures with different axels different frams etc.Weather your geeting a small dump trailer or a large backhoe.So what's every one opinion on what makes a good one?

wroughtnharv

Charter Member
Occupation
self employed maker of things
It's got to trail straight. The brakes have got to work smoothly. And the lights need to be of the low maintenance kind too. I hate hooking up to a bud's trailer and having the "Mr officer sir please give me a ticket" flag hanging out from the get go like you do when a light is out.

I used to believe a gooseneck was the cat's meow. But for the last couple of years I've been using a pintle pull and have found it even better for my situation.

I like having the bed of the truck available and since I can't see the bed I like being able to back in and hook up in one shot.

Of course having the 2003 C5500 that can turn around inside of itself makes a big difference too. I used to have a 3500HD that required eight lanes of road and both sidewalks for a U turn. The new truck turns tighter than most pickemups.

triaxle

Occupation
CEO Mid-sized Grading Company
Haulmark of Quality

Understand your trailers weight rating. Some manufacturers tell you how much the trailer and load can weigh, others rate only the load so two trailers rated the same may actually be rated for different load capacity.
Ask if the company has engineering supporting the trailer weight rating

Axle quality varies significantly. Stick with a name brand and check parts availability. Dexter has a good rep.

Examine the welds carefully. If you don't know welding, get a welder to look at trailer construction with you. A trailer builder near me uses after school high school boys to weld their trailers. Quality control of welding is typically better with name brand products.
Ask about the quality of steel, obviously a trailer of T-1 or 130 steel would be harder and stronger than a trailer made of lesser steel. How quickly the frame edges get torn up from chains demonstrates the greater wear factor of lower quality steels. They also bend and break easier.

Happy Trails