• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is your opinion? Please reply this question freely.

Mr HMK

Do you think, your office is "the cab"? How do you consider it? How do you like it to be?

Do you like equipment manufacturers invensts much on operating comfort as other variables of "the digger"?

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Do you like equipment manufacturers invensts much on operating comfort as other variables of "the digger"?

It's been proven that operator comfort can, and in most cases will, increase operator productivity. I would have to say "yes", they should definately take that into consideration.

tylermckee

more comfort = more production. Bolt a lazy boy in the cab of an excavator and i'll really get some dirt moved.

dumptrucker

Back when I started creature comforts might have been a fan and a radio if you were real lucky.
I started on a old kobelco 907 and I put a truck air ride seat in it with a small compressor.

lgammon

well i started in a 941b with just a cage, i remember loading trucks one winter when it was 15 out side. in betwen loads i would drive the loader in to a little hole i had dug out in the bank and put the bucket about 6 feet up on the bank leave the machine running and get out and try to get a little heat off of the motor to keep me warm, oh those were the days....bull XXXX. now our newest machine is the 420e with all the options, in the winter now when i have some idle time i ain't standing in front of the radiator i am finding somthing to do with the machine so that i don't have to get out of it....so yea i think it is money well spent

Last edited by a moderator:

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
I would have to go with a thumbs up for the cab.Not only for comfort ,but most machines with cabs also has more resale value.They cost more to buy ,but also usually bring more money when you trade or sell.

Draw back is when the air quits on a hot day your wishing you hadn't seen a cab.It is something that need to be maintain.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I think the most dramatic creature comfort is noise abatement. I learned that in my years of trucking, when I started cabs and engines made little attempt at being less noisy. After working a 10 hour day I was exhausted and I can recall having very little patience with my family when I arrived home. The slightest noise would set me off.

I finally came to realize that the noise beating I took all day long was having an effect on me both emotionally and physically. As newer trucks replaced old ones, they came with more interior insulation and A/C, which meant I could drive with the windows up. This was a major help in relieving the fatigue of the noise and pounding of the wind all day. The escape from the heat was a plus too.

This noise abatement would apply to machines too. One of the features I enjoy most with my Cat 248 is how quiet it is compared to other brand machines. I can operate without hearing protection depending on the attachment I'm using. Other manufacturers have such noisy hydraulics it's impossible to operate without muffs or plugs. I feel you can think more clearly without the noise and do a better and safer job in the process.

Anything that can relieve fatigue throughout the workday is going to be a benefit in production.

directorz

Over the years, manufacturers have increasingly focused more on operator comfort and I think that overall, machines have evolved into working offices. I would not be surprised if someone came up with a mobile data terminal.

Loaderman380

Occupation
Operator for an underground utility company
I have to agree with Steve. Noise abatement is very important. I can remember plowing snow at Newark airport one winter with an old Michiganthat was missing the muffler. Boss man asked me to relive the operator that was on it because he couldn't take it any longer. I ran it for ablut 6 hours and thought I was loosing my mind, not to mention my hearing.

The other thing that is important is the seat. After running machines with broken seats or just plain bad ones, I can't tell you how much you appreciate a good seat.

Tn Bulldog

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/ Truck driver
more comfort = more production. Bolt a lazy boy in the cab of an excavator and i'll really get some dirt moved.

Amen to that give me a lazy boy w/ the mesager in it for my back in a 315 or 320 Cat & ill load truck twice as fast ;).

later yall

bulldog

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I get in my cab of my 410G,put on the AC,radio,ride control{if warranted} and I am 1 happy operator.It's a proven fact that a comfortable operator is a more productive operator.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
I'm with you guys on the creature comforts.

A 320C or '25C, a/c and XM, get the seat set right, and there'll be some production from this dude in a day for sure.

bordercollie

Occupation
Dealer service tech with 20 yrs experience,
remember though, all these comforts make for longer repair times and a larger bill when it comes to the shop. more components to remove and re-install.
I am all for the comfort and noise reduction but i am for simplicity more so.

I guess what I am trying to say is I think the design engineers should be mechanics for 10 years before they even are allowed to have a pencil and paper and go to the drafting board.

wrenchbender

remember though, all these comforts make for longer repair times and a larger bill when it comes to the shop. more components to remove and re-install.
I am all for the comfort and noise reduction but i am for simplicity more so.

I guess what I am trying to say is I think the design engineers should be mechanics for 10 years before they even are allowed to have a pencil and paper and go to the drafting board.

I agree with you to some degree on that bordercollie. Most of the machines I work on now have these comforts mentioned above. The early machines were not designed for ac/heat nice seats or even a radio. And it was a pain in the rear to work around these dropin units. The stuff I work on now is old to most standards but were designed with all these comforts in mind. Thus making repairs a lot less painful for the mechanic and the owner as compaired to older converted machines. Sure I like working on the old simple machines but my bread & butter comes from the ones that are working year round in most weather conditions. So IMHO I think they(engineers) are getting better at thier job as time moves foward. Don't get me wrong there is still a lot of room for improvement as for as accessabilty to certain parts is concerned. But then you have to think who spends the most time with the machine the operator or the mechanic, hopefully it's the operator. Thus his comfort is of more importance than my convienance & I accept this.

bordercollie

Occupation
Dealer service tech with 20 yrs experience,
i concur what you are saying, but when a owner /person paying the bill comes in and says, " on my old machine it only took you x amount of time to do tha same repair and on my same make of machine just different model how come it takes almost twice as long?"

Take for example reverser or transaxle repair in a JD 310D compared to what is out there today.

slow hyd or low power complaint, never had to troubleshoot pilot controllers/pilot oil systems.

electrical,monitor panel problems and the cost to repair, no more replacing a guage, complete printed circuit board now.

as far as pilot operated backhoe controls go, i do not like them, lean back and operate like you do a excavator, most hoe operators i see at jobsites hardly ever use the backrest of the seat when operating the hoe, with that being said, now when you do lean forward to look into the trench, all of your backhoe functions are now under your elbows.

when mfgr comes out with excv style controls that swing around in front of me when i am digging in the trench and leaning /looking forward i am all for it.

I do agree that mfgrs have in mind that the majority of the machines life is in the hands of the operator and not in the professional mechanics shop but there is a lot of room for improvement.

take new komatsu wheel loaders for example, to replace the hyd pumps it requires removing the cab, try and explain that to the customer. Mfgr could have made the cab tilt to the side or rearward if they thought hard enough. they do it with their haul trucks.

I know you are all going to tell me to change my profession if i don't like being a mechanic. I just had to vent a little, I feel better now. Thanks everyone for putting up with my rambling.................

John M

comfort

noise is definately a factor . pilot controls much easier. ride control is nice but this all comes at a cost. backhoe prices are going through the roof and nobody wants to pay anymore than they have to. My first machine was 27000 my second 77000 now they are qouting me 95000 and fuel is outrageous.

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
Livin' in the cold

Yep, I'd say that operator comfort is an important factor in just about any type of machine. When you live in a cold climate, this is especially true. In short, I'm apt to get a whole lot more done if I can bear to be in the cab for more than 30 minutes at a time. And if you're going to pay the money asked for a cab, it might as well be designed to promote production. :)