• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is this?

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
The component above the engine.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 777

mitch504

The exhaust is coming out of it, probably a scrubber. Or, far-fetched, a heated tank or container for something, but my money is on an exhaust scrubber for going in mines.

Blacksmoke07

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Id have to say it for emissions.. for some reason some people dont like black smoke?!

alco

It's a home built muffler/sound suppression system. They built this one themselves, and did a similar job on their RH200. Both look terrible, not sure how well they work.

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
Thanks Brian, I thought it may have been something as simple as a muffler, I didn't want to jump to conclusions however since it's like nothing I have ever seen. It’s very "agricultural" indeed.

Do you happen to have any photo's of the RH200 you speak of or know of a place on the net where they exist?

Gavin84w

Cheaper to buy out the neighbours than have that contraption on there, what a joke this stuff is coming to if you have to do that, lines of sight are bad enough on big gear let alone doing something as unpractical as that.

alco

Here it is Chris, not a good shot, but it gives you the idea.

IMG_0527resized.jpg

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
Thanks Brian. The mufflers on that RH200 aren't as bad as that MacGyver made one on the Torneau. The RH's resemble (their actually quite a bit larger) the mufflers on the Mt.Owen and Mt.Arthur Liebherr's down under.