• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is this

oversize

Occupation
low loader driver
I am a member of a towing and trucking forum as well and this picture was posted there it was taken at Kilcoy Queensland Aust, At there show/fair which has a truck show the poster did not know any thing about this other then he was told it is one of only a few in the country , Does any one know what make it is, How old, and what Where they used for.

Thank you

Attachments

• 100_1307.jpg
    100_1307.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,845
  • 100_1320.jpg
    100_1320.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,811

hardtail

Looks like an International 500 wheel skidder.....not sure if they did em in house or a second party converted em........

catc15

yeah i would have to agree that it does look a lot like a john deere dozer that got converted to a skidder. and judging by the way the blade design is and the the hood design is i would venture to guess that it is a late forties to early fifties john deere, possibly one of the 440ies. but then again its just a guess.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Kinda does have a Deere look. A pic from the front would be good. The only thing I know is it's on a trailer hooked up with a Mack B61. It's a shame they didn't post some pics of the truck as well. :)

oversize

Occupation
low loader driver

surfer-joe

That's an International TC5 Skidder tractor. They were made in the mid-sixties and sold to loggers. Came in gas or diesel models. Supposedly they didn't tear the ground up as much as regular crawlers and were to have more traction, but my experience with them was they tore the woods up just fine. The tracks had to be kept real tight or the rubber drive wheel in back would spin inside the track, especially if the ground underfoot was wet. The drive tire was ribbed, the others were smooth. These were all direct drive machines with one reverse gear and I believe, four forward gears. They were supposed to be very good in northern forests where a lot of logging was within swamps or other low spongy ground.

I did some logging with a couple and demonstrated some for a dealer I was working for, but they never sold very well and IH discontinued them pretty quickly. I plowed a lot of snow one winter with one too. It did real well at that. They turned hard as hell as they had a lot of track on the ground compared to regular crawlers.

I didn't know they sold them down under.

Last edited:

td25c

That explains the winch and log arch.I was guessing it was a home made unit.Good story & information surfer-joe.

catc15

international huh i could have sworn that it was a john deere. oh well i've been wrong before.

oversize

Occupation
low loader driver
Thank you for the info Surfer Joe and every one, I have past the info to the person that took the pic's and have given them a link to come here and have a look, Thank again for you help