1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

What is this thing?

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by Alaska Sunrise, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Alaska Sunrise

Alaska Sunrise Active Member

I snapped a photo of this excavator today. It has a combination of cable and hydraulics and looks like it has lots of reach. Who made this? IMGP1024.jpg

2. alco

alco Senior Member

I think it's a Priestman, but I could be wrong.

Attached Files:

3. expatracer

expatracer Well-Known Member

hoe operator
    that looks like the old cable hoe at the operators training school on 8 ave in aldergrove

4. LDK

LDK Well-Known Member

Counter weight

The Priestman had a sliding counter weight, you can see it at the base of the boom and that is what the cables are for. I think that they were the, or one the first long reach hydraulic machines made, in the UK at least.

5. bigkit

bigkit Member

It is a Priestman. The two most common long reach types are the VC15 and the VC20, 15 and 20 metre reach. The VC stands for variable counterweight which was pushed back by a ram at the rear of the machine which inturn pulled a cable which pulled the stick out. A hydraulic motor on the underside of the boom pulled the stick in and the counterweight simultaneously came up the boom letting the stick fall.

Any help.

6. EGS

EGS Senior Member

Local 139 operator
    It is a Priestman.

Roddyo has one, I think that his a VC20.

They are kind of a combo between a long reach hoe and a drag line.