• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is the function of Rotavators?

raj_a

Hi Friends!! I am new to the forum. I want to know what is the exact function of rotavators?
Can anybody help me?

Delmer

They're used around here for market gardens, ie growing specialty vegetables for fresh use, or for homeowners and hobbyists. The advantages are thorough tillage and a prepared seed bed in one pass. The disadvantages are cost, power, wear, soil compaction, breakdown of soil structure.

Do you have any more specific questions?

raj_a

Thank you Delmer for your reply. Can you please tell me what are different types of it?

Delmer

The main difference is the direction of rotation. I believe the original rotavators rotated so that the tines threw the dirt up, while most rototillers rotate so that the tines cut down into the dirt and carry it down and back.

I suppose there are also different sorts of tines.

Richardjw~

they are good for getting a tilth for sowing if the soil has a lot of trash on the surface (remnants of oil-seed rape stubble, kale stumps) which would be difficult to bury and yet chop up nicely once through this.
Also if we want to re-seed a field we spray it with round-up (kills everything) we then lightly rotavate it to get some tilth, sow the grass-seeds and then chain-harrow a few times. This is especially useful where the ground is steep, or stoney when ploughing would be a costly and needless exercise in order to prepare a seed-bed.
And if we are ploughing down a grass field for a new crop then we rotavate it first to chop up the grass turf so that when it is ploughed all the grass goes in the bottom of the furrow. Leaves a nice clean finish.

In years gone by farmers used to deep rotavate a field prior to planting potatoes in order to get a deep soft tilth which allowed it to be ridged up easily during the planting process.

As you say over use and especially in wet conditions will murder the soil, just got to use a bit of savvy really.

Last edited:

raj_a

The main difference is the direction of rotation. I believe the original rotavators rotated so that the tines threw the dirt up, while most rototillers rotate so that the tines cut down into the dirt and carry it down and back.

I suppose there are also different sorts of tines.

Thank you so much for your valuable reply..

raj_a

they are good for getting a tilth for sowing if the soil has a lot of trash on the surface (remnants of oil-seed rape stubble, kale stumps) which would be difficult to bury and yet chop up nicely once through this.
Also if we want to re-seed a field we spray it with round-up (kills everything) we then lightly rotavate it to get some tilth, sow the grass-seeds and then chain-harrow a few times. This is especially useful where the ground is steep, or stoney when ploughing would be a costly and needless exercise in order to prepare a seed-bed.
And if we are ploughing down a grass field for a new crop then we rotavate it first to chop up the grass turf so that when it is ploughed all the grass goes in the bottom of the furrow. Leaves a nice clean finish.

In years gone by farmers used to deep rotavate a field prior to planting potatoes in order to get a deep soft tilth which allowed it to be ridged up easily during the planting process.

As you say over use and especially in wet conditions will murder the soil, just got to use a bit of savvy really.

Really very detailed & useful answer. Thank you.