• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is the Difference between Gasoline 10w-40 and Diesel 10w-40, Big Screw Up

I was a gallon and a half shy on my hydraulic fluid for my Mustang MTl25, so I put in some 10w-40, just like the tank says, not looking to see if it was gasoline or diesel brand. Turns out I read on the jug for gasoline engines. Should I drain my tank and replace with diesel 10w-40, or what should I do?

AllDodge

I was a gallon and a half shy on my hydraulic fluid for my Mustang MTl25, so I put in some 10w-40, just like the tank says, not looking to see if it was gasoline or diesel brand. Turns out I read on the jug for gasoline engines. Should I drain my tank and replace with diesel 10w-40, or what should I do?

The gas/diesel oil difference pertains to when used in the engine not hydraulics. I don't see you have a problem

bobcan

^ Agreed _ until some Petroleum Expert chimes in here, I will say that I suspect the differences are more likely for Combustion Chamber/ Cleaning purposes, not Lubricity in a Chain Drive capacity.. but that being said, a call to your local Bulk Fuel Supply service should dispel any concerns.. I should think!!

mitch504

The difference is that the diesel oil has additives to neutralize the higher level of acid that diesel engines put into their engine oil. I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about some gasoline spec engine oil in a hydraulic tank.

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
Mustang approves any high quality high detergent 10w30 15w40 (depending on the ambient temperature chart) for use in the MTL hydraulic system.
DSCN1446.jpg

Last edited:

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
Operators manual MTL16 20 25 all in one book

I appreciate every one helping me on this one.. I was dreading draining the entire system over a gallon and a half. Is that a manual I see, I wish I had one. they are very hard to find

Mustang Part number 908306 about $35 plus shipping

Amy Mustang dealership can order it for you.

You can contact us here if you would like to order one, we can drop ship anywhere in USA http://austinpowerequip.com/