1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is the best head gasket sealant?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by munro45312, Oct 10, 2019.

1. munro45312

munro45312 New Member

The best head gasket repair is.......... A new head gasket.

Each type of head gasket is specific to the engine as it has reinforced pieces of metal at the points required. The is no paste, glue or any other magic that can stand up to the pressure for any reasonable length of time. What will happen is that when it fails it will do so spectacularly and WILL lead to a large bill to repair all the internals of the engine when the very large bang tries to fire the Pistons and other internals through the hood of your car.
    AND
    What is the best head gasket sealant?

2. B0B

B0B Active Member

Mechanic
    I like copper spray gasket sealer. It makes life nicer if and when you tear it down next time.

3. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    The way this post is worded it looks spammy as all get out. With an IP address in Punjab Pakistan, I call spammy.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    check, Nige, MarshallPowerGen and 3 others like this.
  4. DIYDAVE

DIYDAVE Senior Member

I concur. If you need HG sealant, just search for it!;)

Anything with sodium silicate(water glass) as the active ingredient, will fix small leaks...

The bit about engine sealing is at about the 4 minute mark, in this video...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  5. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Whatever the service manual for the machine might recommend, or not, as the case may be ..........:p:p

6. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    Whatever MacGyver would use, eggs, cigarette tobacco, shredded toilet paper, anything but replacing the head gasket, right?

7. DB2

DB2 Senior Member

I remember an old timer using water glass to stop a leaking liner seal on an ancient Cummins