• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what is the best coupler system out there for a john deere 27d

outlawmike

i currently have a john deere 27d i have been having issues with my current TAG coupler and thumb. i had the main pin break and it bent the coupler and thumb which i have been able to repair it but after heating and banging on it so many times i have weakened them. i keep having issues of the coupler and thumb bending on me and causing kinks in the main pin which snaps the pins everytime. i called TAG and was told they are 30-40 weeks out on getting parts made and shipped. i can order a john deere wedge coupler and get it in a few days but i ive heard no one likes the wedge style couplers etc.. so i was wondering if anyone knew of another company thats similar to TAG or wain-roy or knows of a better system to go to.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Werk Brau has a manual pin grabber coupler I have mentioned on here before. I think it works well. WB also likely has a thumb as well for a machine that size. I think the WB stuff works well. The last thing I would do would be to put TAG back on there. My personal opinion of the wedge coupler is there is nothing quick about the coupler. No doubt it stays tight, just not fast enough for me and l like the pin grabber versatility.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Couldn't pay me enough to use a pin grabber. Wedge all the way. Out here wedge style couplers outnumber pin grabbers easily 4 to 1 on small stuff.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Why not just use the wedge lock style that came on the Deere D series?
I fitted one to my 35d last year and it was easy and cheap. (Less than $1k)

edit:don’t look too close at my welds! Not pretty but they are still holding

Attachments

• 90F3E467-E63A-4756-AC4F-0AD3C378ADCE.jpeg
    90F3E467-E63A-4756-AC4F-0AD3C378ADCE.jpeg
    420.9 KB · Views: 30

outlawmike

If it breaks again. That is what I'm going to do. And what thumb are you using?

Why not just use the wedge lock style that came on the Deere D series?
I fitted one to my 35d last year and it was easy and cheap. (Less than $1k)

edit:don’t look too close at my welds! Not pretty but they are still holding

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Attached may be of interest.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• GI Quick couplers & pin grabbers.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

Toddgarage

Occupation
Construction, welding/fabrication, operator
Ran an old Takeuchi TB016 for years with a pin grabber and loved it. Best thing was you could put the buckets on backwards and cut tight to walls and foundations.
The mini/micro machines don’t have enough power to bust the quick couplers.
I’ve used a 35D and 50D with wedge and they have hundreds of hard (borderline abusive) hours without issues. If the wedge gets sloppy, add a little weld to the ears or wedge and tighten it all back up.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Couldn't pay me enough to use a pin grabber. Wedge all the way. Out here wedge style couplers outnumber pin grabbers easily 4 to 1 on small stuff.

What is it about a wedge on small stuff that makes it better than a pin grabber, yet on larger stuff a pin grabber is far more popular?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
What is it about a wedge on small stuff that makes it better than a pin grabber, yet on larger stuff a pin grabber is far more popular?
Must be a regional thing. Its a rare day we see anything pin grabber. Even 35+ ton class machines around here are usually Weldco-Beales wedge couplers more than anything else.