• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is similiar to a Kubota KX 80?

Mr.Torque

Hello!
I am looking to buy a mini excavator of sort and to give some background info I will be turning up to possibly 13 acres into a campground/RV park. So I will be cutting some roads in putting in culverts, bringing down a lot of trees obviously moving a lot of gravel and grading multiple large rv sites. I have looked at some minis at our local rental place I would love to have something the size of a Kubota KX 80 or possibly the KX 161-3. There seams to be quite a big difference between the 80 and 161 8,000lbs different to say the least. I am wondering what other brands are similar to these two pieces of equipment in size and capabilities our rental place only has kubotas and also wondering if i could pull the kx-80 with my dodge ram 3500? Any recomindations or info would be great!

Tags

The 161 weighs about 12000lbs and the 080 weighs about 18000lbs. The machines seem like they are close but the 080 will out dig the 161 hands down. It has more reach, larger bucket capacity, more power, and the ability to pick up somewhere around 4500 - 5000 lbs, where the 161 will only pick up around 2000lbs or so. Just about any machine by different manufacturers that is a labeled a 70 - 88 is about the same size as an 080, besides some Deere machines which were labeled as a 190 for a bit. The 161 is more comparable to 45-60 labeled machine. I had a Kobelco 70 for years and loved it, and I have rented the 080 Kubota and liked that as well. For what you describe I would go with the larger of the two machines and would not be afraid to even look into a good used 100 -130 size machine if you are planning to just leave it on your property. As far as towing, if you're truck is a "dually" and your tailer is heavy enough you could move the 161 around, but I don't think it would be great for moving an 80 size machine around, the ability to be able to safely stop really starts to be an issue. Hope this helps.

Mr.Torque

So surely there is an excavator between the two 080 and 161-3? I will be leaving it on the property mostly but after the majority of the grading is done I would like to be able to haul it with my 3500. Thanks Tags for the information you have given me.

Tags

Kubota now makes a KX057 that took the place of the 161 and that weighs about 13000lbs, Deere also makes a 60 that weighs 14000 lbs. I have a 161 and have pulled it a short distance with a one ton single rear wheel truck, but it was less than ideal. I now pull it around with an F550 with the integrated brake controller and it works like a charm. If you had a gooseneck trailer that was heavy enough you may be able to move an 80 size machine but I'm not sure it would be legal with that 3500, things seem to happen real fast with that much weight behind a small truck and if the electric brakes on the rraer are t working perfectly you could be in for a scary ride.

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
From what you describe, I would look at the 60 size JD/Hitachi. Sort of in between the 50 size and the 75/80. Just all depends on what you want out of your machine. Based on your description of what you're trying to achieve, bigger would be better. The 60 size machines can still be trailered with a tripple axle or baby duallies setup....... It's hardly ever the towing that's the issue, it's the stopping.............