• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is it?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Does anyone recognize what is pictured below? I mentioned in another thread that my County is doing a full reconstruction of one of the County roads, about 3 miles worth. Today 5 of these appeared dispersed along the project on the sides of the road, they don't seem to be equidistant. What I do know is the solar panel charges the 12 volt battery and there is an antenna on it. What I don't know is what's in the mailbox. I wasn't comfortable touching it not knowing anything about it and it not being mine. Is it some kind of guidance system for machines?unknown construction electronics.jpg

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
My guess is its the fixed antenna for a RTK gps system. System uses satellites and the radio antenna for increased accuracy.

highwayghost

Occupation
Emissions Analyst
Since it showed up in prep of the construction, I would suspect traffic counting and possibly speed check. Info sent in real time, hence the antenna. People like ALL the data they can dream up these days, for what ever reason :confused:

Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I can add some info that might help. They have indeed put all new poles up about 15 feet back from the originals. The local electric company and Verizon are transferring the lines. These units were put in place by the contractor who has the job, I saw one being set up so it has something to do with the heavy construction part of the job. I'll keep an eye out and see if they attach a hose for counting. I may end up stopping and asking about it, this will bug me every time I see it LOL

highwayghost

Occupation
Emissions Analyst
These days they don't need the hoses on the pavement as in the past. I have a sensor for my driveway that has a metal detector that detects up to 12' away when buried next to the pavement, wirelessly sets off an alarm in the house. The local police have a box they set next to the road for a speed trap that sends the reading to the waiting car, again wireless.:eek: