• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what is bobcat up to

dave esterns

so i have heard some rumors about the new bobcats, but do not know if i am at liberty to say much about them. what have you guys been hearing. i am not impressed with the m2 and want to know whats next and when. we have the bobcat s570 manual controlled hand foot, and s595 electric joystick machine at the moment.

i love the manual old school crude 570 kubota powered machine. that machine is awesome.

i do not like the electric joystick machine, and only drive it when i am forced to. joysticks are stupid.

man i am starting to miss the old jcb. that unit was a luxury cruiser. it was like a cadillac; its shortcomings were made up for by the pure luxury of the unit. if the s595 had the jcb cab on it that would be the ultimate machine. if the jcb would have had hydraulic pilots and a radial arm, that wouldn't have been bad either. i could sit in that cab forever it was so soothing and comfortable and large and quiet. it also took half the fuel of a the bobcats. i see they doubled down on the single arm and now its extendable.

man bobcat really screwed up the ergonomics of the cab with their joysticks. in my opinion they have the crappiest joysticks and the crappiest ergonomics. the seat bar needs to go in the joystick machine. i like how when u push the stick all the way forward you get a bunch of resistance going side to side. its like they were not smart enough to know you would be driving at full speed and turning simultaneously. i removed the boots from the sticks because they made the lever effort unbearable. the throw is too long. the arm rests are too far apart and are not inline with the stick. joysticks have a poor feel to them. they are at an awkward angle. the jcb cab setup was awesome. was put together by professional interior designer from what i understand. i have looked at all the other brand units and their joystick setups. none seem to be as good as the jcb was. the jcb was the same as their excavators in the cab, the way it should be.

xgiovannix12

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck driver
eh everything is going to shitty electronics cars machines pretty soon youll be ordering mc donalds thru a computer

dave esterns

well u can already order on your phone i believe, and in the cities you order your own food with the computer. I'm waiting for the days mcdonalds will make your food without people.

dave esterns

all i can probably say is completely new. more expensive more emissions. modular cab. I'm guessing/hoping the cab is going to be a lot nicer to spend the day in.

i also what to know what the new jcb units are going to look like. i see they released their series 3 units now. i wonder if they got the controls/boom figured out by now.

dave esterns

am i the only person who has a problem with the bobcat sjc cab? the machine itself is not bad, but the joystick setup is so bad i am considering getting rid of the unit. when you lay your hand on the joystick you do not think high quality german precision, you think Chinese garbage. everything about them is just wrong. i have never been able to get comfortable in that machine. i feel like i am a pretty average guy. but it seems if you have the arms of someone who is 6'4" and the legs of someone who is 5'8' and you weigh 280 lbs then you would be happy with that cab layout' as long as you could get the seat bar around you. but at this point it is so screwed up if they tried to make it right, they would probably get pushback from all their customers who have gotten used to the sub par design.

dave esterns

i actually do like the bobcat machine itself quite a bit. i think the bobtach is under built though. i have had the arm rests apart several times on the machine to try to find ways to adjust things more to my liking. man they really have everything all welded together and solid there is no way to modify them. i did recently ream out the holes on the seat pan that hold the joysticks to get the arm rests in closer to my arms. that helped, but the problem seems to be the excessive offset between the arm rest and the joystick. i am not aware of any other machine that has such a setup. by default, the armrest should be lined up with the joystick.

it is a hard adjustment going from the jcb cab to the bobcat cab. the jcb cab was all about excess and luxury. by jcb standards, the bobcat cab is definitely sub par; but by industry standards its probably ok. at some point i would like to get back into a jcb but i don't like the high purchase price, the questionable reliability, questionable resale, and questionable parts availability. i will say the jcb boom system seems to be built much heavier than the bobcat. but alas, the excessive pin/bushing wear we were experiencing kind of ruins the heaviness of it.

i look for jcb to have a new design soon, as well as bobcat; so i will have to reevaluate my options at that point. i would consider a kubota exclusively because they have the nice jcb style joysticks in it. i do like the idea that they are hydraulic, but i question that a bit in the cold weather. i think the kubota door would end up in the open position most of the time; may be good or bad.

we did order up a new s570 bobcat with the manual controls recently. a sweet classic machine.

dave esterns

i do kind of enjoy the wacker neuson skid steers. they appear to be the only ones running a modular cab. and they look very bobcatish. the serviceability does look impressive.