• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What happens to your scrap conveyor belting?

Serv

Does this stuff just sit around somewhere and collect dust? Does it get buried? Do people charge to haul it off? I need some in case anyone knows of any around Texas. I can haul up to 50k or so pounds if they can top load my open top trailer. :drinkup

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
we feed it to the horses.

Turbo21835

Any time I worked around conveyor belts, we just patched them. Then again, we were shoving 30 foot long pieces of rebar through the jaws, straight down into the belts. Owner never could figure why we had so much downtime on that crusher. He was the one that wanted us to send all that big bar through that crusher.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
I use conveyor belt to line the bed on my equipment trailer. It lasts a couple of years and then I replace it. When I replace it, the wood on the bed looks like new.

Pecord Exc

we use it when we have to track the excavator down a driveway or across a road and we keep a few pieces on the trailer to go between the steel over the tires and the tracks on one of the excavators or loader.

Cmark

We used it to make skirt-rubbers, hopper-liners, discharge chutes...... There's a hundred uses for old conveyor belt when you're running crushers and screens....

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
I need some in case anyone knows of any around Texas.

i don't know what the underground coal mining looks like down in Texas....pretty non-existent i would imagine...but they have miles and miles of it...you could call them and find out when they are doing a belt change...tone of them up here in PA and WV

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
We used it to make skirt-rubbers, hopper-liners, discharge chutes...... There's a hundred uses for old conveyor belt when you're running crushers and screens....

I'll second that, we usually never toss much out its always used for covers, liners, tracking machines across roads, even works as work mats out in the field, bed liner, etc.

Trbo

Serv

It's no wonder I'm having trouble finding this. Too many end users out there. :D

I did call Martin Marietta in San Antonio the other day and they told me they disposed of no less than 60 roll-off container loads of this last fall to satisfy the environmental beaurocrats of texas. :pointhead

The reason I need some is I started making dock bumpers as a side business. I have enough material to get by for a little while. I'll find some somewhere as I've established some pretty good leads in the last few days. Thanks!! :drinkup

Attachments

• IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,629
  • IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,601

Serv

i don't know what the underground coal mining looks like down in Texas....pretty non-existent i would imagine...but they have miles and miles of it...you could call them and find out when they are doing a belt change...tone of them up here in PA and WV

Thanks, I will look into that. I need about a mile and a half of it :D

Knucklehead

We have 57 miles underground and growing!!!!!:drinkup

I almost forgot, On sunday they are going to be replacing our slope belt,I am not sure how long it is,but it is going to be close to a mile long. I work for American Coal in Galatia IL.

Not sure who you would talk to about getting the old belt, but here is a link to the corporate website if you are interested http://www.murrayenergy.net/index.shtml

Last edited:

Dualie

I been looking for some to line the stall isles in the barn lately and haven't found any. Any one in California have a source on this stuff. every one i knew in quarrying is retired or has since passed on.

Shamrock

Be careful with that stuff eh. It gives off some pretty deadly gases if it catches on fire. The Neoprene or PVC isn't actually flammable but if the Carcass goes up and heats the belt the gases it puts out have over 55% Chlorine in them. I'm Mine Rescue at work and they tell us the least deadliest gas in one of these incidents is Carbon Monoxide!

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Serv, haven't heard from you in a while...how did your scraper hunt turn out?
Do you own a fleet of 637C's yet?
Alan627b

Serv

What kind of tool do you use to cut all that belt, Serv?

I made some dies and use a hydraulic press to punch through the belting.

Serv, haven't heard from you in a while...how did your scraper hunt turn out?
Do you own a fleet of 637C's yet?
Alan627b

Hi Alan! I've been very busy and haven't had much time to do anything else besides work 16-18 hours a day, 7 days a week. I haven't found anything within a reasonable distance yet. Unfortunately, the distance is my main deciding factor when shopping for monsters. My clark is still kicking butt though. I'm getting top loaded by a new 980 and using the clark only as a haul vehicle lately.

I did find a twin engine 637 water wagon (within a reasonable distance) that might be cheap. :beatsme wanna see pics? :D

where can i find one? I sure can use them. It would be nice to get some. any info is great.

find one what? A conveyor belt?

Serv

here's one of my dies. I designed them about ten years ago and just got around to using them. :D

Attachments

• die1.jpg
    die1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 535
  • die2.jpg
    die2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 521