• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What happened to the optional over-center boom backhoes?

Cartoondude135

As of today, Case Construction is the only manufacturer to make the over-center boom backhoe loaders (pull the boom lever, and when the boom touches the 90 degree mark, push the boom lever to lock the backhoe into transport mode so it doesn't bounce so much). But way back then, Caterpillar also made over-center booms too. Here's the remnants I managed to "dig up":
76917403.jpg
3033765820.jpg
2142502024_81a2ca4c28_o.jpg
78500834.jpg
I don't like the banana-shaped boom that Deere and Cat makes, because it looks like someone was tugging on some sturdy object with the backhoe and overtime, that caused the boom to bend and deform.

And also, Deere's backhoe extendahoes tend to drift down overtime regardless if the machine is idling, running (with the loader), or turned off.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's a good question, and I have no answer. The over center latching booms also tucked the backhoe closer to the parent machine, making less tail dimension. And, unless I recall incorrectly, since they tuck up tighter you could swing the backhoe fully left of right and it would still be inside the tucked outriggers making less tail weight for less front axle bounce during roading.