• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What Grader Make Is This?

Hartman-52

Awesome update with pictures!!!!!

I look forward to a video of the machine in operation, especially details regarding the engine switch over system!!!

Winter has set in now in Canads where I live so I won't be working on my grader until spring time in late April or early May. I wish I could have it in a heated shop over the winter so I could enjoy working on it. I want to paint it and add a torque generator steering power steering unit. I just sold my diesel Bobcat so I am.excited about doiny a resto on my new toy. I will be using it to smooth out all our main ATV trails in the forest that are very sandy and subject to getting very bumpy. I will take some video and more pics and post them in the spring.

I think the addition of a torque generator steering unit should work well now I just have to find one off an old tractor.

Hartman-52

I find weeks ago a picture from a grader which is in the Reynolds Alberta Museum, it seems that is the same type:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...set=gm.10155869517757146&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Thanks for sharing that. You have a good eye and I think that grader in Alberts is the same Motor Coach Industries make as mine. I know someone who works at MCI and he is going to ask in Administration if there is any info on them in their archives. I will also contact the Alberta museum since I would love to find a User Manual for it although I did order the WD-9 engine manual and shop manual and parts manual which are readily available on eBay.

Graderfan1981

I wish you good luck that they have a manual, i am glad that i remember that this was the same grader that you have. I find the link only 2 weeks ago earlier when you start this posting here, interesting :)

renaud

Congratulations on your new toy!!
One thing is for sure is that you got your hands on a RARE bird.....and a terrific collectible as well.
The only problem i can think of with such machine is finding spare parts if needed.......
Enjoy eberything you'll do with that old boy.
Max.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
With them WD 9's and other Inter engines of that era it was best to switch back to gas before shutting down for the day. It made cold starting so much easier.

Gees, sometimes I astonish myself with the stuff I've remembered. :)

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I remember the same trick with TD 18s and 14s. Something about clearing out the diesel fuel residue and starting with dry cylinders ?

Hartman-52

Congratulations on your new toy!!
One thing is for sure is that you got your hands on a RARE bird.....and a terrific collectible as well.
The only problem i can think of with such machine is finding spare parts if needed.......
Enjoy eberything you'll do with that old boy.
Max.

The WD-9 motor was a fairly common tractor otor of that time period. While motor parts are beoming harder to find, they are out there. As for the hydraulics, no problem there as they are just regular hoses and rams and control book. The chassis is built like a tank and should have little trouble maintaining and the wheels/tires are still common sizes today.

Hartman-52

I remember the same trick with TD 18s and 14s. Something about clearing out the diesel fuel residue and starting with dry cylinders ?

Yes that is correct. Switching back to gas does flush out the diesel residue and makes gas restarting easier next time. Another important benefit is that it helps cool the engine down properly and helps prevent the head from cracking.

Hoffa

I have been searching the internet trying to identify this brand of grader but can't find another one that looks like it for identification. Can someone please identify what make/manufacturer and possible model this grader might be. I think it has a diesel engine. Any idea of the approximate year and value?

View attachment 174338
Just new to the site, I have 2 of these graders both straight gas I think Ih U9 power units. One is in nice shape spent it's life on municipal roads. The other one is for parts, had a hard life wheel weights on all 4 wheels has a scarifier mounted in front of molboard and steered with a hydraulic cylinder and control no steering wheel. Need info on engine, both ID plates in poor shape.

JimInOz

THe REDPOWER FORUMS site has great info in the ENGINES section,plus a lot of guys who know the IH gear very well.
FP SMITH in California do IH engine parts.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Hartman52, I am concerned that your wife will be upset with you if you spend to much time with that grader. I know a guy in Minnesota that has many old toys. He will take it off your hands to help keep your home life happy and stress free. :D:D:D