• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What engine is this ?

Goose

That serial number is not coming up in Cummins as a good serial number. Any other numbers or Pictures of the engine?

rhanson

Occupation
Construction
I should have mentioned that the number is off the block, not the tag, sorry. I had a guy look at it and he said its an older type cummins, probably a 290 (it has three rectangular, flat valve covers). We just bought this old truck, trying to get it working right now. the engine seems to be running perfect till under load, then cant keep rpms up. had a couple different guys try it, seems like its either fuel pressure or turbo. So we changed turbo, no difference, then we started at the tank and checked all fuel lines and fittings, no obstructions. then we changed fuel filter, still no change. Throttle is advancing all the way. Fuel pump is fairly new, i guess it still could be the problem though, any suggestions on what to check next ? bear in mind that im not a mechanic, even the most obvious suggestions appreciated ( I do have a diesel mechanic coming on friday to have a look though) the engine is running smooth as can be until you go up hill, then just got no pluck. Not blowing any smoke, no hesitation, fires right up.

surfer-joe

If it's a Cummin's, just about any of them are just right for use as a boat anchor. That said, it's probably a 290. They were common as dirt in Internationals in the seventies and eighties. It might be a 310 however.

rhanson

Occupation
Construction
So you guys think the engine is just tired and got no pulling power ? Or is there a problem I can might be able to get fixed ? Hard to give up on er, runs so good

surfer-joe

It may just be tired, though I'd think if that were the case, it would smoke like crazy. These older engines loved to smoke. But it may be either de-rated, or the fuel pump and injectors need to be adjusted to spec. There should be a tag near or on the left front of the engine that gives all the specs and model information. You may have to dig a bit as that is also a favorite location for leaking oil and dirt. You may also have a tired fuel pump, or a problem with loose fuel line connections or leaks. Start at the tank(s) and work your way forward examining every inch and every fitting.

Good Luck!

mitch504

usually a wornout one will at least spin a lot before it starts, if not demand a taste of ether, due to low compression

amscontr

Occupation
Operating Engineer 520
If it's an old worn out Cummins it would be much easier to work on then anything new and electronic.

Last edited:

tctractors

The 250 has a turbo, 290 has a turbo and after cooler, 325 etc are fitted with turbo and inter cooler, there is many other items that change with build spec and power output, but a photo of the engine would help.

rhanson

Occupation
Construction
Thanks for all the input guys (sorry I haven't put up a pic, keep forgetting about it when I'm on the go at work) , mechanic came down today for a look, took him about 5 minutes to tell me the engine is a KTA19 and that # 1 and #2 injector were not working properly. He checked exhaust temp on each port, # 1 and #2 temp was much lower than the other 4. Now my problem is the serial # again. SUpplier here said the only way he can get me the right injectors (gonna replace all 6) is for me to get him the serial # off the tag (impossible) or the # off the injector. You guys know of any other way ? Trying to keep the truck working until I have the injectors then take her off the job for 3 or 4 hours to do the work. Thanks again.

Bluox

Well you don't have a kta 19.You need to find a cummins mechanic to set the valves and injectors before you throw more money at your truck.
Good luck
Bob

surfer-joe

Well, the older Internationals were not the greatest truck to work on in the engine compartment. Pretty tight in there huh? None the less, you have to get to the engine information tag. It has everything you need to know, and it should be on the edge of the timing cover on the left side of the engine, unless it's been torn off or severely damaged. By the way, is this one of the models that the engine sits in the frame a bit cockeyed? I hated working on those.

tctractors

rhanson, I would look for someone that has the brains to sort a Cummins, pointing heat guns at bits of iron without sorting the basic overhead set on this engine, would be showing off and wasting time, tell your mechanic to open up his box of spanners and get busy, I would suspect that this might be sort of putting him outside his comfort zone???

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Im not saying this isnt a cummins engine, but Ive owned about 5-6 of these older Internationals and they all have had DT466 engines in them
Back to if its a Cummins, I just went through this on a Big cam Cummins, it had low temp on exhaust manifold. I changed both injectors, same thing. I had to pull the head, bad/leaking valves
I had the model and serail number and there was like 3 different injectors it could be, yes I picked the wrong one, so I had to wait for the correct one. There is a number on the top/side of the injector, if its a Cummins.
Make sure you find a mechanic that knows what he is doing
Im guessing that if you are colder on 1&2 it isnt the injector, but if you can find a mechanic that knows this engine, get him to switch say #3 or 4 injector with 1or2, that should only take about 4 hrs, if he has a injector puller. In a way this could be a waste of money, but it gives you chance to get the injector number and to double check to see if you have a injector problem. If you just switch one injector, it takes less time. YOU CAN NOT just change the injector, you have to set it correctly
Just a thought