• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What dozer to buy?

will

Occupation
Farmer for 19 years
Been looking for a dozer for the farm. Have a cat 320bl excavator and would like to help it out some on some clearing projects. Have looked high and low, but cannot reach a decision on size or brand of dozer. From D4H to D5G to deere 650 to case 850. I think i have viewed every dozer online and am tired of looking. Also have talked with local cat dealer extensively about dozers and dont seem to be getting anywhere. Renting is an option but would rather own one. Looking to spend around 35G max. Thanks

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
No future in renting a machine unless you only need it for a day or so and it is a machine that you will not have a steady use for. Case in point, when I need a mini track hoe I rent it because it is for a few hours tow to 3 times a year. Can't justify purchase. If you are looking at longer term my advise is buy it. Everything around here I own.

As far as the dozer goes, BUY the cat. If it is the D4H get a wide track. I don't have much experience around
D5;s but to me they seem to be to big to be small and to small to be big. Just my opinion. Maybe a D6 would be a better match.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
there seems to be a little bit of a price break on the dozers when you start getting to the 21 ton machines. I believe that its due to the fact that you start needing oversize load permits for this class and up. Renting might be a good way to clear your mind as for what you are wanting in a dozer.

Personally for clearing I'd be looking at the heavier units cat 5n's, deere 750's, dresser 15's and such

Also condition would be more important that age or brand. Oh, and I wouldn't buy a bare back unless it was the only option, winch prefered, rippers next.

will

Occupation
Farmer for 19 years
I should have stated that we have a 35 ton detach that we can move stuff around with.

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
I've read here that for work smaller than a D6 ...IE: ''finish dozer'' most operators are favoring a john deere and for you that'd be a 450-550.
mabey a few who know the machines here will write in.

S.R.E.

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator/Business Owner
I personally would buy a John Deere 650J. Rippers would be O.K. and a brush rake would be a must.
A 650J can out push a D5 and can finish a lot better then a D6.
A D6K is nice but, I don't think you could get near one for 35K.
The JD 650 Is a popular machine so there is more of them out there (at least around here) which means you could find a better deal.

oldirt

D6D is a nice match. 18ton with cat ripper. simple, no computers. Low entrance price, parts are available everywhere. 6 gal fuel/hr is a lot for one of those.

LonestarCobra

Depending on the type of trees you have, a anything smaller than a D6 may be to light. I had a JD 550, and it was a good machine, but the Mesquites over 2.5"-3" were just too much for it. I also have a D5B and a D6H both with winches and thay work well for farm and ranch work. I dont know about the JD650 out pushing a D5, as I worked my D5B along side a 650 last week building a location and that old D5 could do a little more than the 650. A good choice might be finding a D6D in good condition, they usually run between 30 and 40K around here. Unless you plan to do alot of finish work, I wouldnt get a 6 way blade. They wont carry as much dirt in front of them due to the ends being open, and grubbing trees and working in rocks will take a toll on it.

will

Occupation
Farmer for 19 years
Why not a bareback dozer? Hardly ever see one around here with anything on the back. Just curious. Thanks for the replies.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
We got bareback dozers all over around here. About the only place we see rippers around here are on D8's D9's which are being used for push Cats in borrow pits or cuts.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
i know you see barebacks all over, they are just half as usefull as a machine with a winch or rippers, a baby dozer with three point hitch.

If all you ever use it for is trimming and finishing you probably will not need the winch, but if your like me it sure is handy to have the winch to pull the ocasional stuck truck, mobile home, hitch of logs, or un stick yourself.

firetruck dvr.

Occupation
Full time firefighter engineer, and part time heav
I agree with stumpjumper, a winch is handy as toiletpaper! Even if you only use it 2 or 3 times a year. I also like the added weight on the back.

farmerleach

If its going to be a farm dozer, I would prefer a winch. Not that I get stuck often, and when I do get stuck I haven't had to have a dozer come in to pull me out, but I do think it would come in handy

andoman

If its going to be a farm dozer, I would prefer a winch. Not that I get stuck often, and when I do get stuck I haven't had to have a dozer come in to pull me out, but I do think it would come in handy

+100 If your by yourself on a farm a winch is a must.

gasfield315c

Occupation
build gaswell locations in the steeper than a mule
If u already have a 320 ,then somethin like a d6h or similar size with a winch would be good

HD21A

Occupation
Manage and operate family farm
Hello Will We are a farmer in Southern Ohio that has had dozers for years. We started with a small HD5, then a TD15 and now have 2 ACHD21As. I have rough hill side to clear, ditches and creek to keep clean, and big trees that could go. The big dozer is in the 25 to 30 ton class and is a pleasure to operate and will move some dirt. It is a serious tree killer. Have a Case hoe which can do minor ditch finishing and creek bank repair. Bought both the 21s from a local custom operator who did mostly farm clearing and retired at age 85. On getting stuck, have been there and used one 21 to pull the other out. The dozers stay on the farm, not for hire, Bob Chillicothe, Ohio

Serf

Run the numbers through for a large 4wd tractor with a Grouser industrial blade. You could run a large mulcher with that. There is not enough detail on the size of the vegetation to be cleared, slope angles, area of land to be cleared/ maintained etc. Would a large 4wd have more uses than a bulldozer? Is it worth hiring the bulldozer of the type you want before any purchase so you can see if it big enough, 10 minutes use on site tells you far more than any amount of time looking in a machinery yard.

barklee

I would recommend something with pilot controls. If you are like me and dont have alot of time in the seat the old lever machines are cumbersome for fine work (expecially an older machine). Rented a Deere 750 size machine and it was a world of difference from my old TD15!
Also, if you have a lowboy there is no doubt i would by as big of a machine as you can get around your property.