• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What does this button do?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
These days at home are long and boring. Starting some posts can be interesting seeing other peoples experiences and opinions. How about a stupid question. I know my graders inside out. However... I know every good operator should heed the warning labels and read that book wired to the back of the seat. Most of the loaders I plow snow with have a lot of switches that I have no clue what they do. As long as the ride control works, the lights, heater, radio. I actually looked up what the single acting down switch does on my Volvo L70F does. The 950G, 950H, and 972H have a button on the right side of the headliner that has a picture of a gear on it. If you don't press it everytime you start the engine, when you hit the brake, the transmission goes into neutral but the brakes don't come on. Hit the button, everything works as it should. Quite a surprise if you are heading towards the side of a truck, or building and hit the brakes expecting to stop. What is the purpose of such a switch?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Is this the icon on it..?
Here's a thought. Did you know that you can download an Operator Manual from Cat's interweb for less than $50..?
View attachment 213786
That's it. All those machines have the manuals in them. The 972 is gone. Traded for a 180 Volvo. Not sure if the new 950 or the 980M have the button or not, was never in them. I could get out of bed, get dressed....naw...just looking for conversation topics besides the corona beer virus