• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What does everyone think of women getting into wrenching on heavy equipment?

Vetech63

It has to be coming soon......right? I saw a gal driving a forklift company service truck yesterday :eek:. Hell, I couldn't believe how attractive she was too! I asked my wife last night what she thought about it. First dam thing she asked was "What did she look like?" :rolleyes: ...........I lied. :D I'm all for it!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I knew a girl that did fuel injection.. she was GOOD.. dam GOOD..
I was teaching a girl to do it once.. but we ended up between the sheets & THAT was the end of that.. Lol

The girl I knew that did it for a living was good, but I just couldn't take her seriously for some reason..??
We didn't work together long, maybe a week, as she moved on.. maybe I just didn't get to know her??

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
Its beyond time for them to enter the work force... I am for anything that will make it easier to find a good mechanic.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I'm scared she would be smarter than me! Now that I think about it that's not saying much.....

I'm all for it. I would think they'd have to be pretty thick skinned to work some places. They'll have to fight off dang near every swinging d**k on the job.....

Graham1

Why not? But they will have to be very determined to overcome the prejudice they will get. There is a girl, Amie, her in UK who operates a duck better than any guy I’ve seen. She puts up YouTube videos as Duck girl.
This one she is grading out stone on a new road backing up round a corner as she goes, then as she slews round you realise she still has the trailer attached, incredible skill.
Graham

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Depending on the situation..
Something that I cant stand is> weather its a guy OR a girl is> someone getting paid to do a job & constantly asking for help.. can you lift this, can you start this bolt, can you break this loose???
My standard answer for THAT TYPE was> yes I can.. Why cant YOU?? you get paid money just like me..
Now naturally.. if there was a "trick to it", I would show them..

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Depending on the situation..
Something that I cant stand is> weather its a guy OR a girl is> someone getting paid to do a job & constantly asking for help.. can you lift this, can you start this bolt, can you break this loose???
My standard answer for THAT TYPE was> yes I can.. Why cant YOU?? you get paid money just like me..
Now naturally.. if there was a "trick to it", I would show them..

That is exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't figure out how to without sounding sexist lol.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
That is exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't figure out how to without sounding sexist lol.

Be careful...feminists are hiding everywhere :p

So much has changed the last couple years I'd be scared my friendly banter would be mistaken for unwanted advances and I'd be another casualty of the #metoo movement!!

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
As a retired electrician, my philosophy was: If you can screw pipe together and pull wire with the rest of ‘em, you can stay, if not, down the road. I have sent more men down the road percentage wise than females. What screwed us in the beginning was we fought minorities and females in the trade. (Before my time just barely.) If we would have accepted them to begin with, we would not have had court ordered quotas where every drone came into the trade to meet quotas. We could have had the choice of the best, but we fought it. It was bad planning back in the ‘60s.

My only run in I had with a female was when one of my foremen stormed into my office threw her hard hat at me, hit me with it and told me either her check or “that worthless azzhole’s check, I don’t care which, but one of us will be gone in 30 minutes." I had HIS check in 15 minutes. She ran my big pipe crew. Over the course of a three day weekend, her crew put in 1500’ of 4” and 3000 feet of 3” all prefabbed and ready to screw together. She was not only dynamite to work with, but cute too. My wife really likes her.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
As a retired electrician, my philosophy was: If you can screw pipe together and pull wire with the rest of ‘em, you can stay, if not, down the road. I have sent more men down the road percentage wise than females. What screwed us in the beginning was we fought minorities and females in the trade. (Before my time just barely.) If we would have accepted them to begin with, we would not have had court ordered quotas where every drone came into the trade to meet quotas. We could have had the choice of the best, but we fought it. It was bad planning back in the ‘60s.

Very well said Jumbo! I often wonder what talent is out there just being wasted because someone doesn't get the opportunity to show what they can do!

There are lazy worthless people in any group you want to put together. Many years back my brother was in a government program where he had the opportunity work along side a group of immigrant migrant farm workers, a group that is much maligned by some here in the USA these days, he says any one that calls them lazy should try living their life for a week! And anyone who is upset saying they are "stealing our jobs" is free to sign up the next harvest season in the area!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have met gals driving truck(do well), operating HE(do well) but in mechanic on HE I was NOT impressed years ago by those looking for the wages but not the effort to make them. Wanted cranes, lifts, special tooling that NONE of us had. Had little ability for heavy work like 'Manhandling' Cummins Heads off a block, setting a cam gear with welding gloves fresh out of the oven by hand, grabbing a rod/piston/split collar ring compressor to set a cylinder group by hand, driving a Sunnen hone off a heavy electric two handed drill to fit/set DD sleeves. Fought with the same in power plant, not enough weight to swing a 24", 36" or larger valve manual handwheel against system pressure but plenty azz to whine when 'Men' would not automatically come to their aid as we were all busy with our own work.

Some manage well, most that want equality don't see their frailty until they cannot do the physical side work then whine 'Unfair'. Some things are just best left to guys while some women can do better, cannot just call as to all available.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
What scared me in the businesses and public was when Women wanted the exhilarating work AND pay as fireman. We had guys dressed out in bunker gear handling 2 1/2" lines by themselves, same guys broke 250-280lbs NO GEAR ON so if went down IN a fire scene took at least another of that size to get them out, the women and girls were always mad the rescue dummies were so 'Artificially heavy' and when told to pick a guy to save would arbitrarily try to pick the smallest guy, even those at 180lbs were immobile objects when they tried. Became a requirement as to life and fire scene safety they had to be able to pull a body out at least that size, 180-250lbs.

wornout wrench

We have a young lady working in our shop.
She is awesome.
Tough as nails.
Yes, sometimes she needs help with something heavy, but then, so do I.

I don't think of her as a woman. I think of her as one of the crew.
She has never pulled the woman card. Never claimed to have woman problems (if you know what I mean)
She goes to work and she does her job.
Her attitude and work ethic are one of the best on the crew.

Conversations in the coffee room might not be the same as they would be if it was just an all male crew, but that is fine.
We can pretty much say anything as long as the "C" word is not used.
Once again, that is fine. Sometimes a little manners even at work is a good thing.

She got us one time.
We were comparing welding burns.
I can't remember the whole conversation, but when she got to the part about the piece of slag caught in her bra and, in her words, sizzling between her tits, the crew lost it. :rolleyes:

She is a great kid, it would not bother me to have more like her working there at all.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Never said none were good, just all too many want the money and are not that handy. You got one in a hundred on the crew there.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I had a 40ish year old minority women working for me on some hospital jobs in California in the mid 1980s. She had been a special events coordinator for a company that sent her all over the world setting up high profile big name events. Made a ton of money in her words and "got" to meet a couple hundred self centered a**holes. In her heart she always wanted to be a carpenter so she left the glamor world and become a carpenter apprentice. She was one of the best, hardest working, willing to learn apprentice that I have ever had on any project. I almost cried when she become a journeyman and left me to be a supervisor on her own projects. And then I had some that wanted a pay check and some one else to do the work. I don't care what sex, color, or race the help is as long as they have a desire to do the job right and show up with some ambition, be sober, awake, and drug free.