• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What do you think of this truck -- International 5 yard

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
Great motor. Mine went 500,000 miles. Mine also had hyd breaks. They are not safe with a load. The difference with air is night and day if you have hills. Also you live in the state that just passed truck regulation and your year truck has you replacing the motor soon. I think the owner whats someone else to deal with the CARB issue.

707pc50

Can you give me a brief run down on these new regs? If the truck is in northern cal do these regs apply? I know are smog regs are night and day diff then the cities? Does this apply to a personal use, ranch truck? When would this go into effect?

Thanks

Reel hip

Occupation
Can you give me a brief run down on these new regs? If the truck is in northern cal do these regs apply? I know are smog regs are night and day diff then the cities? Does this apply to a personal use, ranch truck? When would this go into effect?

Thanks
Mostly it is in effect now. Changes have been made,some actually in favor of the "little guy". There are a few exemptions that you might be able to use. First off will it be a ranch truck or not? Are you going to register it with the DMV? That changes a truck to off road and a bunch of different regulations (welcome to Califorina)! There is some things you can do. (1) If you don't drive it over 1,000 miles in a year then you won't have to retrofit the motor at all.(2) If the truck is under 20.000 miles a year then you can put off retrofitting untill 2016 for a single truck owner.(3) There are attainment areas that no retrofitting is required but I don't know if you are in that area. To take advantage of the first two you must register with the state ARB prior to 1-31-12.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
I am glad Reel Hip mentioned the CARB rules. I have a bobtail International dump with the DT466 automatic and a two speed. It passes the smoke test but will be terminated by CARB in the near future. We are completing the special registration paperwork at this time in order to obtain the maximum permitted use prior to its regulated demise.
It is my understanding the rule applies to an on road truck as On Road Always even if it is used off road based upon the original construction was for on road. I have been to seminars on this and some folks alleged an SE plate buys a lot of freedom and the word is NOT to be.
The automatic was initially a bit of a mental hurdle but I am very happy having it. I like it for all sorts of things - convenience, precision backing and turning in tight places on sloped areas where the brakes would let it roll back is eliminated, and intersection to intersection performance is better.
I have to think about a new truck someday and getting rid of this one seems pointless, it does all I need it to do and pulls the equipment trailer with a backhoe or a dozer or a compactor or any of the manlifts quite handily.
I feel the newer truck will cost me a lot of $ and yes I will certainly get one with the air brakes but it maybe wont be as reliable with all the new fangled stuff.
I will be strongly considering an automatic trans with a two speed rear axle just like I have now.

Diesel gal

Occupation
Vice President of BeCarbCompliant
Hello 707pc50: I have some CARB information for you. If this truck is a light truck (GVWR 14,001 - 26,000) you would be required to replace the motor with a 2010 Model Year or newer engine by January 1, 2015. If the GVWR is more than 26,001 than the truck is considered a Heavy truck and the engine replacement requirement is also January 1, 2015. These dates are standard compliance dates. There are of course different use rules to the regulations to delay the re-powering or retrofitting requirements. These depend on the Manufacturers GVWR (typically located on the driver's side door post not the unladen weight, gross combined weight rating, or registered weight rating) the County you live in, and annual mileage. Additionally, are you a licensed contractor? If you choose to take advantage of any of the Special Provisions, Extensions or Exemptions, you must report by January 31, 2012. Whatever truck you purchase, you should consider this information to help make the best decision.

www.Becarbcompliant.com

Last edited:

707pc50

Not a licensed contractor at this time, truck will not be for hire or used on contracted jobs, only personal projects and ranch work, but do need to be able to drive it on road so yes registered with DMV. How do they know if u put more then 1 k miles on it annually? The county of use is humboldt in northern cal, gvw will be under 26k, how long until reposed would be needed to stay legal to drive? Who emforces this? Most trucks I've been looking at have been early 90s internationals with dt466s

Thanks

Diesel gal

Occupation
Vice President of BeCarbCompliant
Humboldt County is what the State of California refers to as an Attainment County. What that means to you is this: As long as your truck is driven in your county ONLY, you can delay having to replace the motor for an additional two years. A truck under 26K is considered to be a Light Truck and has a different compliance schedule than heavier trucks. A 1995 model year or older vehicle would need to have its engine replaced by January 1, 2015. Being located in an attainment county, you could delay replacement until January 1, 2017. The California Air Resources Board is the governing agency for diesel regulations and they partner with the State's 37 Air Districts to enforce the rules. Additionally, an attainment county is exempt from the NOx rule. Your only concern would be addressing the issue of diesel particulate matter. At any rate, replacing the engine by 2017 with a 2010 or newer motor would satisfy all compliance requirements and you wouldn't have to worry about upgrading after that. Please be aware that if you want to take advantage of the compliance extension you must report your truck information to the California Air Resources Board website at: www.arb.ca.gov no later than January 31, 2012. Their website is voluminous to say the least. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to contact me. I assist many equipment and truck owners throughout the State with these regs on a daily basis. You can find my contact info at www.becarbcompliant.com. In closing I encourage you to take all this information into account before purchasing any truck. Good Luck.

Bearmtnmartin

Occupation
excavation contractor
International dump unit 3(a).jpg

I just bought this one this summer for $10,000, for the sake of comparison. 6 speed, 250,000km 1998. 33,000gvw with hydraulic discs. I had to do the clutch and the box needs a new floor, so probably $12,000 to have a near perfect little dump truck.

Reel hip

Occupation
Nice rig! Bearmntmartin When you did the clutch is the park brake still at the drive line? My 1988 always gave me problems.

mitch504

Martin, I'm curious about that backhoe and trailer. What size is the tractor, and what axles are under that trailer?

That's a nice little truck, how do you like the disc brakes?

Bearmtnmartin

Occupation
excavation contractor
Martin, I'm curious about that backhoe and trailer. What size is the tractor, and what axles are under that trailer?

looks are decieving. Its actually a JCB Midi, so not a full size machine. I drag it around on the trailer you see there which is liscenced as a 12K deck over, although the axles are 14k for some reason.

[/QUOTE]
That's a nice little truck, how do you like the disc brakes?[/QUOTE]

Disc brakes stop it pretty good. As well as air I think actually, and my labourors can drive it.

Attachments

• Dodge and Midi.JPG
    Dodge and Midi.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 172

mitch504

I could tell it wasn't full size, unless the cab was huge, but it looked bigger than it is. I went and looked at it on the Jcb website and that is an impressive little machine.

Thanks for the info,
Mitch