• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What do you like/dislike about your job?

Numbfingers

Occupation
mechanic
I really enjoy working for myself and by myself. I dont miss managing other people and the headaches that go with it. I like making my good customers happy, and having the ability to choose who I want to do business with.

AzIron

You mean FIGJAMs.? Translated as - F**k I’m good, just ask me......
Nige if I had a quarter for every plumber Mason or superintendent that thought they were an operator let alone understand half of what they think they know about dirt I could retire and get a real job

On the flip side you get those few great customers that know what they are paying for and those ones make it great they let you work the job and not manage a circus

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
There are always going to be toxic people that can ruin a great place to work. I know safety is important but some of those guys take their job too seriously.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
The flip side of that OIH are the GC's that take said Subcontractors bid since it was so "cheap". :D

The lowest bid is not always the cheapest price.;)

Seriously I understand exactly what you are talking about. The majority of the work we do is in a subcontractor role. Some of the other trades we come into contact with on the job...they leave your scratching your head trying to figure out if they could even read the contract...

I was not trying to discredit subcontractors as being bad in general. In fact most were very good. Just the bad ones were the pain in my day. And you are spot on about taking a outrageous low dollar bid. We looked a lot harder at out of normal low bids, and always did a pre award interview with them. When talking thru the job they usually discovered they had missed a large item. Sometimes after adjusting their number they were no longer low bid. They were still always appreciative of having had that chance to adjust their number. A loser job does no one any good. Having a subcontractor that is forced to cut corners to make up for a bad bid never did anyone any good including the customer.

matnicoe

I like my job because everyday is adventure but sometimes I dislike it because of some feisty co-workers and superior.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
I like sitting in a warm office behind a desk on a wet miserable/ freezing cold day. I dislike getting fat sat behind a desk on warm sunny days. Luckily in England the latter are few and far between :D

Numbfingers

Occupation
mechanic
I like sitting in a warm office behind a desk on a wet miserable/ freezing cold day. I dislike getting fat sat behind a desk on warm sunny days. Luckily in England the latter are few and far between :D
Lol! Wet cold days do suck for sure! Makes my tolerance level drop real low on those days. But I guess even on cold wet days you gotta deal with some belligerent shitty customers buying parts that test your patience. Every job got its highs and lows..

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Lol! Wet cold days do suck for sure! Makes my tolerance level drop real low on those days. But I guess even on cold wet days you gotta deal with some belligerent shitty customers buying parts that test your patience. Every job got its highs and lows..

Look at the bright side. On wet, cold, miserable days you rarely have anyone looking over your shoulder “helping”.