1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

What do you like/dislike about your job?

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Michael Shuder, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Numbfingers

Numbfingers Well-Known Member

mechanic
    I really enjoy working for myself and by myself. I dont miss managing other people and the headaches that go with it. I like making my good customers happy, and having the ability to choose who I want to do business with.

old-iron-habit, CM1995 and DMiller like this.
  2. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

rofl

Jeckyl1920, Mother Deuce and DMiller like this.
  3. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    ME TOO!!! LOL ROFL!!!

Jeckyl1920 and Mother Deuce like this.
  4. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

Nige if I had a quarter for every plumber Mason or superintendent that thought they were an operator let alone understand half of what they think they know about dirt I could retire and get a real job

On the flip side you get those few great customers that know what they are paying for and those ones make it great they let you work the job and not manage a circus

Jeckyl1920 and DMiller like this.
  5. cuttin edge

cuttin edge Senior Member

Finish grader operator
    There are always going to be toxic people that can ruin a great place to work. I know safety is important but some of those guys take their job too seriously.

kshansen and DMiller like this.
  6. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    I was not trying to discredit subcontractors as being bad in general. In fact most were very good. Just the bad ones were the pain in my day. And you are spot on about taking a outrageous low dollar bid. We looked a lot harder at out of normal low bids, and always did a pre award interview with them. When talking thru the job they usually discovered they had missed a large item. Sometimes after adjusting their number they were no longer low bid. They were still always appreciative of having had that chance to adjust their number. A loser job does no one any good. Having a subcontractor that is forced to cut corners to make up for a bad bid never did anyone any good including the customer.

CM1995 and DMiller like this.
  7. matnicoe

matnicoe Member

I like my job because everyday is adventure but sometimes I dislike it because of some feisty co-workers and superior.

DMiller likes this.
  8. sfrs4

sfrs4 Senior Member

parts admin
    I like sitting in a warm office behind a desk on a wet miserable/ freezing cold day. I dislike getting fat sat behind a desk on warm sunny days. Luckily in England the latter are few and far between :D

old-iron-habit and DMiller like this.
  9. Numbfingers

Numbfingers Well-Known Member

mechanic
    Lol! Wet cold days do suck for sure! Makes my tolerance level drop real low on those days. But I guess even on cold wet days you gotta deal with some belligerent shitty customers buying parts that test your patience. Every job got its highs and lows..

sfrs4 and DMiller like this.
  10. Mike L

Mike L Senior Member

Self employed field mechanic
    Look at the bright side. On wet, cold, miserable days you rarely have anyone looking over your shoulder “helping”.