1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

What could possibly happen...

Discussion in 'Demolition' started by CM1995, Nov 24, 2015.

1. OCR

OCR Senior Member

Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
    You're more than welcome, Ron ... :thumbsup

That would be my guess, too... It would certainly have to be footage from before his death...

I'm really not sure how that works...?

OCR

2. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  3. Oxbow

Oxbow Senior Member

How do you come up with these TD? I like movies but certainly cannot remember details like you do. Good job!

4. Jim D

Jim D Senior Member

equipment operator
    To me, the dumbest part of the accident is that there are a many videos of tyros trying to knock down silos, cement block silos, by knocking holes in the bottom, and *the same thing happens* each time... the thing collapses vertically a bit and them falls in the other direction. Also there are many videos of third-world people doing the same and having the same thing happen.

It's good to learn from your mistakes; smart people learn from other peoples' mistakes, first.

Also, demolition of the old Lindheimer astronomical observatory at Northwestern was similar. Explosives failed, and them the boss figured he had to go at it alone, to finish the job. Very silly. When the first plan fails, that's when it is time to spend the time and money to figure out how to do it correctly.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  5. Jim D

Jim D Senior Member

equipment operator
    Forget the sweaty palms; I can't even watch him climb up the ladders, no rope and harness, without getting scared!

6. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    How what works? Death? Me neither. You could try taking down a smokestack with an excavator and post your findings... :)

7. td25c

td25c Senior Member

Good question Oxbow ?

Grew up in the 70's & 80's . Always liked the classic car chase films that came out of the 1960's & 70's era . Had awesome stunt's in them that probably won't see anymore due to computer generated stuff , ( Unless someone screws up on a demo job ):rolleyes:

Hooper was was more of a tribute film to the stunt guys & gals working behind the scene . Good movie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooper_(film)

Westerns also had a lot of wild stunt gags & gigs .

This is an interesting site . Scroll down and see Bobby Herron crashing through the barn with the Chevelle on the set of "Convoy " .

http://www.westernclippings.com/stuntmen/bobbyherron_stuntmen.shtml

These guy's were the real deal . Done a lot of there own stunts & acting .

Ben Johnson is another one that comes to mind .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Johnson_(actor)
    Wild stuff !

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  8. FSERVICE

FSERVICE Senior Member

I can see the demo guys point of having "bricks hanging" & not really safe to try another set of charges!! im not going to say he did the right thing or wrong just going to say he is very lucky komy has a very strong cab!! & he tested it to the limits!! I have saw several failed attempts at dropping things with charges over the years by some of the best people in the business, IT HAPPENS!! it seems like the only time it gets to youtube or media is if something like this where its high profile demo & something goes wrong. there is a video clip just under the posted link that shows the 2 failed attempts to blow it at the base.. just seems like they would have tried to open it up the side with a few more shots before the base charges went off to weaken it even more.. just my thoughts.

9. OCR

OCR Senior Member

Lol... No, I think I'll just ... :tong

OCR... :D

10. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Hal Needham brought us the great movies - Smokey and the Bandit, Hooper, Stroker Ace and Cannonball Run, all classics. Smokey and the Bandit will ever live in my greatest movies ever.:thumbsup

Burt Reynolds and Jackie Gleason had a great on screen presence. A diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN_Ir2gedvQ

11. OCR

OCR Senior Member

12. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Didn't forget. Vanishing Point didn't have Burt Reynolds and Jackie Gleason
    .:tong

13. RonG

RonG Charter Member

heavy equipment operator
    How about Steve McQueen?I can't even remember the movie that he was in with that Mustang.........damn,getting old here.....still.LOL.Ron G

14. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
  15. td25c

td25c Senior Member

LOL CM ! I don't see how they kept a strait face during some of those takes . Classic !

Glad you mentioned Hal Needham . I knew partly of his involvement but did not realize how deep it really was . What an incredible individual !

From doing stunt work in the 1950's to starting there own Stunt company ( Stunts Unlimited )
    in the early 70's .

http://stuntsunlimited.com/history/

He actually doubled for Burt Reynolds in the early 70's .

http://stuntsunlimited.com/founder/hal-needhams-six-greatest-stunts/

This was an interesting interview he gave . About an hour long but he go's in depth on stunt work & stories .

http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people/hal-needham

Then Stunts Unlimited would have done the stunt work on " Hooper " like the smoke stack demo & such .

All that happened pretty close to you CM .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooper_(film)#Production

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  16. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Hey OCR, I was just wondering if you picked an Iris Dement song on purpose, since some of our conversations on here get a little demented. ;)

17. OCR

OCR Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  18. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Yep HWY 78 going towards Jasper. We had relatives that lived in Jasper and traveled that highway a few times a year, I barely remember the bridge before it was demolished but always remember that's where the jump took place.:D

19. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Believe it or not but I was living in Jasper during that time working for Drummond in Carbon Hill. We used to travel Hwy 78 to Birmingham at least twice a week. The bridge was already demolished when we arrived and IIRC rebuilding was just starting as we left. The major memory is that all traffic had to use the bridge on the eastbound side of 78, it was the westbound bridge that was out. What happened to that bridge that it needed demolishing anyway. I don't recall..?

20. maddog

maddog Senior Member

RonG, you're comparison of felling a tree to dropping this chimney doesn't work. A tree is a solid piece of wood the chimney is brittle and made of many pieces that could(and did) fall apart. I agree that dropping it like a tree would probably be the way to go, but there would be many more variables to take into account.